Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
I am really liking my Premier heat plate so far. I have 7 chicks under it right now (still have 2 in the hatcher) and am finding it to be so much better then heating with a lamp. I found when using heat bulbs, even red ones, the chicks would be up and down all night and would peck and pick on younger hatchlings being added to the brooder. I have not found this with the heat plate.

The brooder is in my room and the chicks are following the natural light/dark cycle. At dark they are all under the heat plate and stay there until they get up in the morning. I get a few soft peeps as they readjust themselves but that is it. Younger/smaller hatchlings run under the plate if they are getting pecked at and the pecking stops immediately. With heat lamps I would see poor little guys running all over the brooder trying to escape the pecks of a bigger chick.

These chicks also seem to be much less stressed then chicks I have brooded under heat lamps. They are in a large wired kennel (big enough for me to get inside of) and as soon as they see me open the door or sit down on the floor to watch them, they come running right up to me. In the past my chicks would run around in a frenzy the minute they would even see my hand trying to feed and water them.

I would recommend anybody that raises baby chicks, even once a year, put this on their birthday/Christmas wish list. It is well worth it, IMO.

Penny

Thank you! Good review. Not finding it too hot, then? And are you raising up the front higher than on the back or just using single level?

Thank you for that review. I may have to take the plunge and purchase one. My husband says "the light worked just fine last year".. but I just don't like the risk of it. And if they're less flighty that's good too. I know they FREAKED everytime I stuck my hands in there to replace food and water.

Thank you! Good review. Not finding it too hot, then? And are you raising up the front higher than on the back or just using single level?

I have the front higher then the back. I am finding that since not all the chicks are the same size they can each find the spot that is perfect for their heat needs. I am not finding it to hot nor are the chicks. Last night some of the older hatchlings were sleeping with their body under the plate and their heads sticking out. As the temp got colder in the room they moved completely under the plate. They are definitely acting more like my chick that is being raised by a hen, going under to get warm or if they get frightened but spending a lot of time out scratching, eating, drinking, and just exploring.

I will say that besides my big fear of fire being greatly diminished, I am sleeping at night because there are not chicks running around, peeping, and fighting most of the night. They now feel they have a safe place to sleep at night, just like they would if being raised by a hen, they go under at dark and back out come daylight.

Penny

Thank you for that review. I may have to take the plunge and purchase one. My husband says "the light worked just fine last year".. but I just don't like the risk of it. And if they're less flighty that's good too. I know they FREAKED everytime I stuck my hands in there to replace food and water.

Have you checked out this thread? It addresses the cost. Premier's plate is actually cheaper than a heat lamp over the course of brooding one batch of chicks. The cost for the heat lamp will show up on a higher energy bill than that of a heat plate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/851884/heat-plates-vs-heat-lamps

Have you checked out this thread? It addresses the cost. Premier's plate is actually cheaper than a heat lamp over the course of brooding one batch of chicks. The cost for the heat lamp will show up on a higher energy bill than that of a heat plate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/851884/heat-plates-vs-heat-lamps
Yes and it is more true than the basic numbers with utilities that charge with a tiered usage model. Here with Pacific Gas and Electric, going up in usage can increase the cost a lot.

I want one of Beekissed's faux chickens (really, that's what I was thinking about with the heat pads and things). Oldfashioned 'microwave' heatpads were filled with cherry pits or beans.... would make a good filling for a faux chicken.. but what can heat it all up safely?

Hello all, Im following this thread because I am seriously looking to buy one of these, I just havent decided which one is best ....Love to hear your findings good and bad!

What I really didn't mention in my other posts are the ease of raising and lowering the legs. There is a large flat button that is easily accessible without flipping the entire plate upside down. You just reach under the plate, push the button, adjust the leg, and release the button. Very easy. I have had the Premier for a week now and am very pleased with it. I have 8 chicks under it and so far they seem to have really adapted to it extremely well. It really does seem to mimic being raised by a hen much better then a heat lamp does. I am loving that I can go run errands, or even go to sleep at night, and not have to worry about a fire like I did when using heat lamps.

Penny

I think I'm really starting to like this product, but not hatching until May so I want the reviews to keep coming.
caf.gif

This has been a really helpful thread! I have 46 new chicks arriving on Feb. 21st and I'm thinking of placing a 3-day order on one of these heat plates. I'm up in NE Minnesota where we have been just beaten down with freezing cold temps- but luckily it looks like we'll be hitting 30 at the end of next week, just in time for the babies to make their travel through the postal system (I've never ordered this early in the year, so I'm a little nervous about it). We will be keeping the brooder in our basement which is only about 50 degrees. I'd been planning on using a heat lamp as I've done forever, but I think this heat plate might be a nicer option- allowing them to keep warmer in a more localized area. My only concern is when they leave from under the plate to go eat and drink- obviously the air will be colder when away from the plate? Or does the plate help warm the brooder itself? And since the plate is for up to 50 chicks- how long will it be able to sustain them as they grow? Perhaps someone who has had some experience with another brand might be able to help with these answers...thanks so much :)

If I decide to go for it, I'll definitely be posting my reviews. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom