Is anyone using the Premier "heat plate" brooder for chicks?

Pics
This has been a really helpful thread! I have 46 new chicks arriving on Feb. 21st and I'm thinking of placing a 3-day order on one of these heat plates. I'm up in NE Minnesota where we have been just beaten down with freezing cold temps- but luckily it looks like we'll be hitting 30 at the end of next week, just in time for the babies to make their travel through the postal system (I've never ordered this early in the year, so I'm a little nervous about it). We will be keeping the brooder in our basement which is only about 50 degrees. I'd been planning on using a heat lamp as I've done forever, but I think this heat plate might be a nicer option- allowing them to keep warmer in a more localized area. My only concern is when they leave from under the plate to go eat and drink- obviously the air will be colder when away from the plate? Or does the plate help warm the brooder itself? And since the plate is for up to 50 chicks- how long will it be able to sustain them as they grow? Perhaps someone who has had some experience with another brand might be able to help with these answers...thanks so much :)

If I decide to go for it, I'll definitely be posting my reviews. Thanks!

It will be perfect for you. I keep chicks in the house and then move them into the Garage and have been using the brinse eco glow 20. The chicks were under it for 5 weeks and are completely heat free now. The house goes down to 60 at night too.

In my experience, the area right under the heat plate is heated to 95. It doesn't warm the air around it, but the chicks don't need the whole brooder to be that warm. They just need a place to warm up. I would think it being 50 wouldn't be too awful for them. Maybe open up a vent in the basement so that it is a little warmer?

After looking at our options and talking to my husband about the savings on the powerbill he seems to be leaning more towards liking the heat plate
ya.gif

Ofcourse, I would buy one anyway if I wanted one
lol.png
But I prefer for him to agree with my choices. He still owes me one for Christmas...

I actually went down there today and it's warmer than 50 I'd bet. It has a really low ceiling so I was worried about using a heat lamp as it is. I think I'm going to go with it, thanks so much for your help!

I actually went down there today and it's warmer than 50 I'd bet. It has a really low ceiling so I was worried about using a heat lamp as it is. I think I'm going to go with it, thanks so much for your help!

Think about how a broody does it. I had a broody last year that brooded 4 That hatched over New Year's Eve/Day. They were outside in an unheated hen shed. The temps ranging from the mid teens to 20's F. No heat in the hen shed.

They would go under mamma when they got cold but I was amazed at how much time they spent out from under her in those temps. They just need the warm up place. They come and go when needed.

So your 50 F basement would be like a heat wave to my kiddos that were out in that shed! By 2.5 weeks they'd often stay out from mamma for 5-10 min. at a time. I was amazed at how quickly they acclimated....and it was their choice. As soon as they signaled that they were at the end of their tolerance, momma would drop and under they'd go.

Last edited:
Can anyone answer YlwbrchHobbyFarms question about how long a large heating plate would fit for her 46 chicks? That is a question I asked about my 25 incoming chicks, and got no answer to that. It seems to me that the 50 chick size plate is adequate for 50 day-old chicks, but they would quickly outgrow it -long before they had feathers and could be without heat. But, I'm curious how fast the chicks (Barred Rocks and New Hampshires) will grow, so that I know how long I could expect the heating plate to suffice for 25 chicks.

Last edited:
Can anyone answer YlwbrchHobbyFarms question about how long a large heating plate would fit for her 46 chicks? That is a question I asked about my 25 incoming chicks, and got no answer to that. It seems to me that the 50 chick size plate is adequate for 50 day-old chicks, but they would quickly outgrow it -long before they had feathers and could be without heat. But, I'm curious how fast the chicks (Barred Rocks and New Hampshires) will grow, so that I know how long I could expect the heating plate to suffice for 25 chicks.

I have an eco glow 20. I have had 24 under it for two weeks.

The premier 50 is bigger so My guess is that 46 would work with it for the entire brooding time. Mine do not even use the heat after 4 weeks but they are in the house.

Last edited:
I have an eco glow 20. I have had 24 under it for two weeks.

The premier 50 is bigger so My guess is that 46 would work with it for the entire brooding time. Mine do not even use the heat after 4 weeks but they are in the house.

I went ahead and ordered the heat plate, will be here Wednesday. I will let you know how long it works out for the number of chicks I have. I'm going to assume that it should sustain them for as long as the heat is needed, or else it should not be advertised as capable of warming up to 50 chicks. I guess we'll see, right?? ;) 18 out of my 46 chicks are bantams so that should help. Will keep you updated!

Thanks to everyone for your input; much appreciated :)

One would also assume they take turns under the thing. And have you SEEN how many chicks can fit under a chicken? They will just squeeze and squeeze until they're all under her.

I'll be getting a Premier 20 soon. I bought the one the lovely seminolewind was no longer using. I think it'll be nice to have, instead of the heatlamp. I can set it up in my storage building next year, once I clean and organize it, instead of in my bedroom
smile.png
I would never have done that with the heatlamp.

Back
Top Bottom