Is anyone using these Hatching Time quail cages? What do you think?

MontanaChickDoc

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 2, 2016
central Virginia
https://hatchingtime.com/collections/quail-cages/products/quail-cage-2-layer?variant=43028965359794

My husband is sick of helping me build bird enclosures (completely understandable) and I am a really crappy builder by myself. I was thinking about getting the Hatching Time fully ready to go cages for my handful of young quails. I had a group outside in a hardware cloth enclosed run and attached house, but a rat got into the enclosure (dug under the buried fence!!) and killed most of them over 2 nights (I was locking them up after the first episode of murder but he beat me to it one night :( I was just going to put HWC along the floor but looking at the rest of the enclosure, it's not in good shape and needs a new roof, etc. I know I can build something cheaper but I really like how durable and able to be cleaned out this is. It doesn't look fully rat proof though...anybody have opinions? Thanks!
1696178472632.png

From what I have heard, they are NOT rat or mouse proof. They are intended for indoor use, I believe (garage, shed, etc).

They are apparently easy to clean, though. Take them out and pressure wash, and they're as good as new.

Please do not stuff as many birds into them as advertised, however! They do not fit nearly as many birds as they claim.

I don't have any experience with the Hatching Time cages, but they definitely don't look rat proof. I like my Wynola Ranch cages which also aren't rat proof. I don't think any cage with egg roll out is going to be rat proof. If there's room for the eggs to roll out, there's room for the rats to crawl in. Mine are currently in my garage. I plan to build an outdoor enclosure to move those cages into and build additional cages along the same lines. I'll worry about rat proofing the larger enclosure.

https://hatchingtime.com/collections/quail-cages/products/quail-cage-2-layer?variant=43028965359794

My husband is sick of helping me build bird enclosures (completely understandable) and I am a really crappy builder by myself. I was thinking about getting the Hatching Time fully ready to go cages for my handful of young quails. I had a group outside in a hardware cloth enclosed run and attached house, but a rat got into the enclosure (dug under the buried fence!!) and killed most of them over 2 nights (I was locking them up after the first episode of murder but he beat me to it one night :( I was just going to put HWC along the floor but looking at the rest of the enclosure, it's not in good shape and needs a new roof, etc. I know I can build something cheaper but I really like how durable and able to be cleaned out this is. It doesn't look fully rat proof though...anybody have opinions? Thanks!
View attachment 3649641
we have like those cages but only indoors. The small quails can escape so I put a plastic screen at the bottom where the eggs comes until they are ready to lay.

I recently added 12 female quails and housed them in one of these hatching time cages. Cost me quite a bit too here in Australia but it would just barely fit them all. Went and bought a (much bigger) rabbit hutch with a ramp to house them now and they're happy running and scratching around.
I'll be using the hatching time cage as a temporary home when cleaning the hutch out but I won't be using it again for them long term.

Back
Top Bottom