is apple cider vinegar ok all the time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smcdermott, Dec 26, 2014.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    Been putting a littl apple cider vinegar in my chicks water for health (thought one might be getting sick). Is it ok to keep giving it?? Should I take breaks?
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy smcdermott

I add ACV (with mother) to my bantam’s drinking water; including chicks when I have them. I have two water sources (one larger dispenser and a back up small dispenser, just in case one should get knocked over). I change their water morning and night. In the small container I put 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) and in the larger container 1 teaspoon (5ml).

I was told about ACV by a friend who has had chickens for a very long time and some of the reasons he uses it are:
    * It apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.
    * It can act as an antiseptic, killing bacteria in their throat and is reported to keep bacteria out of their water. I know it is recommended to people with sinus issues also.
    * Some think it increases egg production but I can't comment on that because my 4 adult bantams lay 1 egg each every day or two; when they are not broody!. Luckily I am not in this for the egg production! Lol

I probably should mention that is what 'I' do and the whole Yeah or Nay on ACV will continue to be something debated for years to come I think; some are pro and some are con. I am one who is happy to share what 'I' do and totally respect what other chose to do :)
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by