is apple cider vinegar ok all the time?

smcdermott

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Central Fl
Been putting a littl apple cider vinegar in my chicks water for health (thought one might be getting sick). Is it ok to keep giving it?? Should I take breaks?

Howdy smcdermott

I add ACV (with mother) to my bantam’s drinking water; including chicks when I have them. I have two water sources (one larger dispenser and a back up small dispenser, just in case one should get knocked over). I change their water morning and night. In the small container I put 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) and in the larger container 1 teaspoon (5ml).

I was told about ACV by a friend who has had chickens for a very long time and some of the reasons he uses it are:
* It apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.
* It can act as an antiseptic, killing bacteria in their throat and is reported to keep bacteria out of their water. I know it is recommended to people with sinus issues also.
* Some think it increases egg production but I can't comment on that because my 4 adult bantams lay 1 egg each every day or two; when they are not broody!. Luckily I am not in this for the egg production! Lol

I probably should mention that is what 'I' do and the whole Yeah or Nay on ACV will continue to be something debated for years to come I think; some are pro and some are con. I am one who is happy to share what 'I' do and totally respect what other chose to do :)

Back
Top Bottom