Is Auto-Sexing retained when you cross two sex-links?

Maybe or maybe not.
Depends on what genes they carry.
Do you have a pic of your OEs?
IMG_20210715_155621448.jpg
IMG_20210706_103918378.jpg
IMG_20210709_182230588.jpg
IMG_20210706_103908810.jpg
IMG_20210706_103806426.jpg

They were sold to me as EE hens. I'm almost certain they will lay green eggs but we'll soon find out.

Thanks for the knowledge. I'm getting some German Bielefelders and I have what I'm pretty sure are Olive Eggers. You can see the barring in their feathers and a couple have the crests like a CCL. So if I later mate my Bielefelder roo with one of the OE hens, the chicks will be autosexing. Am I correct?
There are a number of "stray" genes that can mess up the sexability of the chicks. You will have to experiment if you don't fully know the genetic makeup of the OE's. Since you are only "pretty sure" they are even OE's, I have to guess that you are not aware of the parentage. I sell autosexing OE chicks and anyone who gets them could indeed cross them with Beils (or any other true autosexing rooster) and expect to get fully autosexing chicks.
Genetics is tremendously interesting and I encourage everyone to learn as much as they can. Get some good stock from a reputable breeder of autosexing breeds (if they tell you Barred Rocks or normal Welsummers are "autosexing" they fail the test). The good breeders that know their stuff are generally super enthusiastic about the genetics and will "talk your ear off" about their birds.

There are a number of "stray" genes that can mess up the sexability of the chicks. You will have to experiment if you don't fully know the genetic makeup of the OE's. Since you are only "pretty sure" they are even OE's, I have to guess that you are not aware of the parentage. I sell autosexing OE chicks and anyone who gets them could indeed cross them with Beils (or any other true autosexing rooster) and expect to get fully autosexing chicks.
Genetics is tremendously interesting and I encourage everyone to learn as much as they can. Get some good stock from a reputable breeder of autosexing breeds (if they tell you Barred Rocks or normal Welsummers are "autosexing" they fail the test). The good breeders that know their stuff are generally super enthusiastic about the genetics and will "talk your ear off" about their birds.
Thank you so much for your response. I am definitely unsure of the genetics of my girls. It will be an experiment for sure.

I have another question. If I breed an Azure Egger roo with green egg hens will the eggs go back towards blue?

I have another question. If I breed an Azure Egger roo with green egg hens will the eggs go back towards blue?
Probably not. Ameraucana breeders are constantly fighting to get eggs to be, and stay blue. There are multiple genes involved in the cream or brown egg color, and those are what makes eggs look green instead of blue. A true blue egg will be the same color on the inside and outside of the shell. Once you "pollute" a gene pool with brown egg genes to make green, getting back to blue is probably years of heavy selection and culling.

Back
Top Bottom