Is barred black sexlink always a roo?

Joeyjjj

In the Brooder
May 27, 2019
WA
First time raising black sexlinks and I have learnt that barred ones are roosters. Does anyone know if the barred can be female?? I got this one when she was only three days old and she was solid black at that time.Thanks!

Attached is photo taken today, she is 4.5 months old.

WIN_20190821_11_29_52_Pro.jpg

To be honest, I am not sure at all. Might be other breed. I was told she is black sexlink when I bought at the feed store.
The reason I ask is that a black sex link female would never be barred, however this bird lacks the pointed male saddle feathers I would expect to see on an 18 week old male. Do you have pictures of this bird at various ages?

The reason I ask is that a black sex link female would never be barred, however this bird lacks the pointed male saddle feathers I would expect to see on an 18 week old male. Do you have pictures of this bird at various ages?

I don't have any pics taken around 18 week. But the first pic was taken at around 10 weeks and the 2nd pic was taken 16 week. It does look like the tail feathers were pointy at that time.
WIN_20190821_11_57_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190821_11_54_55_Pro.jpg

I don't have any pics taken around 18 week. But the first pic was taken at around 10 weeks and the 2nd pic was taken 16 week. It does look like the tail feathers were pointy at that time.
View attachment 1884837

View attachment 1884838
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what this bird is. I only said 18 weeks because you said 4.5 months. Male saddle feathers start to grow in around 12+ weeks and I can't seem to see any on any of the pics of this bird. The comb came in a tad early for a pulley but late for a cockerel so I'm tempted to say you have some kind of oddly bred, early maturing Pullet. Definitely doesn't look like your standard black sex link though whatever it is. If it's a black sex link then it is a very late maturing cockerel (which can happen).

Back
Top Bottom