is baytril a safe antibiotc for chickens

jodie33

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
hi my 24 week old beautiful araucana has a cold that acv and ciridal drops wont shift so i took her to the vets and thay gave me baytril but they think i wont EVER be able to eat her eggs when she starts laying the vet admitted to not knowing for sure but i have given it to her anyway because i donyt want to loose her. does anyone know if baytril affects the eggs? i will be sad if it does
Thanks jodie33:)

Baytril is a preferred antibiotic for chickens, according to my bird vet, however it will enter the egg. Do you want to give yourself a dose of antibiotic? Antibiotic resistence is a real problem. I have discarded the eggs for a week after finishing a Baytril routine. Perhaps that's overconsevative but I don't want to medicate myself with it.

Thanks for that the chickens being treated are only 14 weeks old so are not laying yet so the antibiotics should be out of the system by the time they lay but the vet said i would not be able to eat any eggs that thses birds produce ever i think she was wrong as that would be mad that was my only concern so will you eat future eggs

I used Baytril with my hen when she had bumblefoot and the withdrawal time is two weeksafter the last dose. If I want to be on the safe side, go three to four weeks.

I had a long discussion with my vet about Baytril. They have to say that about the eggs and antibiotics as there have been no studies on withdrawal time in eggs and they are worried about antibiotic resistance in humans. I think a reasonable amount of time to wait is 2 weeks and I think you'll be absolutely fine by the time your hens start laying. Sorry that your hen was sick

Kay

Thank you all for your feedback i thought the vet was over causious, however chooks are on the mend and i am no longer worried:)
smile.png
smile.png
:)jodie33

y husband is a Vet. He said Batril is only temporary.I have had 2 chics die suddenly and my husband is giving them Batril They are only 5 weeks. It is safe and temporary

Back
Top Bottom