Is Blackjack 57 safe?

Jack,

I'm getting ready to put down Blackjack57 on my coop floor. There's no mention on the can for how long to wait before walking on it. How long did you let it "dry"?

Jim

24hrs, I walked on it. I believe on the can it talks about applying the roofcoat at temps at 70F and above. I would guess your weather is about the same as mine right now, and you don't know if you are going to hit 70 or not, much less hold it. So with the cooler temps, longer cure/dry time will probably happen,
Jack

Thanks for the quick reply, Jack. Today, we won't go above 60 and it is going to rain. Tomorrow and Friday it is supposed to be in the mid-70 to upper 70s. It will cool off at night, but I need to get the Balckjack down. I want to try and get the chicks moved in this weekend...6 weeks old...or next weekend at the latest. They are outgrowing their brooder.

BTW...did you put down 2 coats or 1?

I'll let you know how I make out.

Last edited:
I put down two coats - second coat went on very quick and also dried quick - probably 10 hours or so - and is much thicker. Temp was over 70 deg though. Planning on putting the chicks in next weekend.

Thanks

Jon

Beautiful late morning. 74 degrees. I got out there and thoroughly vacuumed the coop floor and applied a coat of Blackjack. It went on pretty easy. After I was finished, I stood back to admire it when I noticed all these little white fuzzy things blowing around in the breeze. Spring! Not to worry though. I couldn't believe how fast the coat was drying to the touch...the plywood was warm from the sun. If tomorrow is as nice, and it is supposed to be, I think I will put down a second coat. What the heck! I don't plan on rubberizing my roof any time soon.
smile.png

Well, it never warmed up like it was supposed to do on Friday. It stayed overcast and in the low 50's. Today, I got rained out. So, no 2nd coat. If I get to it, that will be fine; if not, that will be fine too. I think the one coat will be OK. Here's a pic of it after the first coat.

Well, it never warmed up like it was supposed to do on Friday. It stayed overcast and in the low 50's. Today, I got rained out. So, no 2nd coat. If I get to it, that will be fine; if not, that will be fine too. I think the one coat will be OK. Here's a pic of it after the first coat.

Man, that looks good. Sealed up real good. You get a lot of rain, you'll probably have to bail it out, LOL.
Jack

I was very impressed with the BJ57, Jack. The hardest part was stirring it. It went on real easy and sealed up every nook and cranny nicely. Just like liquid rubber in a can. Hey, if it fills with water, maybe I'll raise some ducks.
lau.gif

I put BlackJack 57 down on the coop floor. I bought a 5 gallon bucket at Lowes. I painted two roosting boxes (about 4' x 1' x 1' each), a 1' x 8' plywood board, 4 nesting box dividers, a 6' chicken ladder, and the inside of the coop with some coverage of the walls (4' x 8' floor). After I was done with the smaller stuff I dumped out a big glob of it on the coop floor, and pushed it around with a paint roller. It was pretty thick, but the stuff has dried in 24 hours. There was a very light smell but nothing offensive. No smell when dry. If the application was thick, it did have a tendency to peel away when tacky. But now that everything is dry it looks like a durable coating. It goes on grey, dries black. Overall, I am pleased with it and have included some pictures. By the way, the coop that DH and I built was the "Daisy". It looks to be an awesome coop and we are planning to move the 7-week old chickens out there this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom