1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Bluekote drying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrygirl4513, Sep 5, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I got some Bluekote today, but I wondered if it was at all drying. I've got to keep the wounds moist. It says it has glycerin in the ingredients. Just wanted to know how current users feel. Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hmm... never used it but if it contains glycerin, it probably will remain tacky at least.

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We were given a rec to use blukote w/ coconut oil to keep it from drying out. We did that and it was OK. Then we stopped b/c it got to where we really wanted the wound to be dry.

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

We use bluekote alot and I mean alot. Hubby raises and trains coon dogs, and they always seem to be coming home inqured in some way. I use it on everything from the dogs to chickens and rabbits. It works really well. It will remain tacky for a few days usually 2 if it is really humid alittle longer. And then dry out. It seems to do a good job of keeping dirt out of the wound as well as flies away from them also. Hope this helps

5. oopsydaisy

oopsydaisy New Egg

Aug 31, 2007
    Buffalo, MN
    Bluekote used to contain a large amount of alcohol. Does it still?

6. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Well I believe Blukote saved my hens lives. It does contain alcohol, but regardless of that it seems to have worked a miracle on my girls. And their wounds were very bad!

7. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Happy to hear that the girls have mended so well. I think I'll pick some Bluekote up to have on hand. Thanks for the tip.

8. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I wouldn't have animals without it. I'm sure it hurts like the dickens since it does have 32% alcohol by volume. It's saved more than one pecking death to say the least. Ingredients say:

Sodium Propionate 9.1%
    Gentian Violet 1%
    Acriflavin 0.15%
    in a special base of water
    Urea
    Glycerine
    Isopropyl Alcohol

9. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    It is very drying but also good stuff. You can put it on then put a coat of something over it to hold the moisture in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by