Is "broody" catching?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicabee19, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Reading up on lots of threads, it seems like someone will mention they have a broody hen, then a while later another of their hens has (or several have), gone broody.

Is this catching? I ask because (as all you gals know), when human females live together their cycles can coincide.

thanks!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    must be here- even one of my young pullets who just started laying caught it [​IMG]

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    In our flock, our Jersey Black Giant is broody every 6 months. None of the other hens (2+ years old) have ever gotten broody and actually stayed at it. .....

So you know, we were out of town for the week-end. I have the JBG in the portable nest box in our laundry/mud room with chicklettes. We come back home to find our White Wyandotte and Gold Penciled Hamburg are both broody. And they haven't left their posts all week. Silly girls. [​IMG]

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I've found that with both my silkies and my cochins it's like dominos. I get one broody and then one by one there they go until everybody has quit laying on me and they are all fluffed up in their selected nesting areas. And more often than not they all choose the same nesting spot and I have piles of them trying to squeeze into one box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by