Is Broody Chick Adoption a Biosecurity Problem?

chickengirl778

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Hello all!
I was planning to try and get my stubborn broody to adopt some chicks I have coming when a thought came to mind.
Is this a biosecurity issue?
Is introducing my healthy hen to hatchery chicks a biosecurity problem? Is it likely the chicks will be carriers of anything at such a young age?
Do you think the risk is worth it? Realistically, they would be integrated into the flock anyway, it's just a matter of adoption by a broody hen or brooder box.
Any advice is welcome!
Thanks!

I would not do this until the chicks have stayed in their own brooder for at least a couple days or a week. Many times young chicks carry disease and can be easily passed over to your existing flock. Make sure to change your shoes and wash your hands every time you handle or take care of the chicks.

Is introducing my healthy hen to hatchery chicks a biosecurity problem?
This is the safest way.. over going with someones backyard birds that have zero testing or personal bio-security in place.

Plus that way gives me a chance to try more breeds.

I've successfully adopted plenty of chicks without concern for disease.

DO NOT try to adopt chicks that are week old or older.. most hens won't accept it and most chicks won't stay under the hen if they don't know her. Doing so as young as possible is the best way.. they learn each others' voices and bond so she knows to protect them instead of protecting HER resources from them.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom