is candling nessary ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Johnboat, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Johnboat

Johnboat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    The reason I ask is I have over 110 in my bator and it seems like a long process, I dont want to have them away from the heat for longer than nessary. Today is day 5 I candled a few and only see a dark shadow with a very dark spot in the center ??? They are dark brown eggs I assume they are harder to see through than white ? Thanks

2. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i am in the same situation but with 42 eggs, i would love to know the info on this as well, becuase if i dont really need to, im not going to candle.....

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    yes dark eggs are harder to candle.

candling is not required.. I hardly ever candle.. many other people will not hatch without candling..

one reason to candle is for curiosity..

the best reason is to cull the bad eggs that are not going to hatch..

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I do not think its set in stone that you have to candle , but it does provide valuble info , not to mention it freaky cool.
    [​IMG]

5. rikku_03

rikku_03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Anchorage
    lol if I had over 110 eggs I'm pretty sure I would have candled one because I'm really lazy [​IMG] yep brown eggs are harder to candle then white eggs I have a brown egg and I'm having trouble trying to candle

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You don't have to candle them.

However, if you do want to, I'd wait till day 10 or 14, and use a high powered flashlight. Better than maglight, more like surefire LED 6p 100+ lumens type deal, and just place it over the top of each egg and pull any that are clear. If you can put your hand over the front of the flashlight in the dark, and see the veins/bones though the palm of your hand, you'll be able to see in the eggs no problem. Trust me, with a good high power flashlight, you can see though your hand.

I can candle a flat (30) of eggs in a minute on day 14 and yank any clears.

If something is going to blow in the bator, it will stink first. So if no smell, don't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by