is cat harmful to chickens?

LilyRoseDaisy

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Sunny Arizona
My hens were making such disturbing noise today. I ran out and saw a big black cat running up our roof.
Is the cat just curious or can it actually kill chickens?
If they are dangerous, what can we do to protect the chickens? Is fencing on all sides good enough?
Thank you!

Last edited:
I rather doubt a cat would risk taking down a full grown standard chicken. Maybe a bantam, and definately chicks.

Bottom line, you just have to make your run predator proof from everything...

Last edited:
I know we had a cat in our area when we were kids that killed one of our hens. Unless there is something covering the top of the run that cat can get to your chickens. Not all cats will attack but it is possible.

It's possible that a cat could hurt your hens but unlikley. Most cats see full grown birds as to risky. But as mudhen stated, bantams and chicks can be more risky. Especially if it is a stray hungry cat. The cats around here are scared of the chickens and I let 4 week old chicks free range. Haven't had a problem yet.

I think it can depend on the cat. I would not take any chances. They probably won't attack a grown hen but if it is really hungry or mean it might. Chicks and bantams are another matter. I don't trust my cats around them. My cats sure do watch the little ones.

I have 6 cats, about 5 feral cats that roam my property and 24 chickens. I have a very safe chicken yard and I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). My cats will put their noses up to the fence and the girls will come to see what the cats are doing and then cat runs away, nose has been pecked. My chicken yard is chain link fence with chicken wire around the bottom so little feet can't fit in and grab a chicken.

Any animal can be a threat to chickens. Just be careful.

Last edited:
I placed a Rhode Island Red week-old chick on the back of my 9 year old indoor Siamese cat and the cat was scared of the chick. So it really depends on the personality of the cat. If you don't know him, I wouldn't risk it. If it's a stray, I suggest maybe buying the cheap cans of cat food from maybe like a Dollar General store or something and setting them out far away from the coop, then of course you'll have another mouth to feed but neither the chickens would be hurt, nor the cat if he happened to get attacked.

It of course depends on the animal but cats have and will kill chickens. You can protect the chickens with good fencing and lock them up in a coop but if you free range them, the nusance cat must be removed if its showing a tendency to go after your birds. If you dont, you are just gambling with the lives of your birds. This section of the forum is filled with "what attacked my birds" type of posts. People get away with letting birds out for a while but nusance animals cant resist the free lunch forever. I also believe people get lulled into a false sence of security. Alot of the older farmers just accept losses as part of the game, they dont get too upset if a fox kills a few birds. They stop it if they can but they sure dont cry over it. Unless you fall in that catigory, lock up your birds and remove nusance animals from your property.

HTH

I now that our cats wont hurt our chickens. But thats because they have been raised with them. I also know however that a cat can kill a chicken, especially a large breed of cat like a maincoon, or a small breed of chicken. A cat can climb very good also so if you dont have a top on your chicken cage they can climb in there. I would just keep an eye on him and if he so any interrest in you chickens I would zap him in the rear end with a BB gun. That should give him a message to leave your chuckens alone.

Back
Top Bottom