Is chicken wire good enough?

To the posters who said something about not seeing post about people using chicken wire and lossing their chickens to an attack I have read on hear about people who used chicken wire and a coon or dog ripped the wire apart. I know I read one that was about 3 dogs that ripped the pen apart and they had used 2-3 layers of chicken wire. I even did it testing it and I did rip a hole in the wire. I use chicken wire to keep chickens out of my plants and use welded wire and hardware cloth to keep predators out. I would not use chicken wire on my pen it is just not that strong plus a chicken can stick their head out a 1 inch hole and a dog or other predator would pull the head off. I would not take the chance plus I notice that chicken wire becomes weak quickly. I would not chance it. Use welded wire and hardware cloth its more expensive but it will save the heart break of losing part or all of your flock. IMO

Quote:
Before I built my pen I spent some time on here reading. Spend a couple hours going through the predator section...you can do a search for chicken wire. I went and bought hardward cloth instead after reading countless posts on the uselessness of chicken wire. For those who use it, that's fine. It is each person's risk to take. Just do so understanding that you are taking a gamble with your chicken's lives. I spend too much on my birds (and they are pets) to take any more chances than necessary.
sharon

Quote:
I found a thread on here from 2008 and it was 6 pages long on this same topic. I read the whole thing. Most said chicken wire is like paper,,without any first hand experience,,,, and 1 went as far as to say their rooster got mad and they watched it kick and peck a hole through chicken wire in seconds!! lmao Many said that chickens get pulled through the wire and killed,which is off topic a bit.

I have seen OLD chicken wire that I can pull apart with out a problem. But I have several rolls of brand new chicken wire. I just went out and tried with everything I have to pull it apart,,,it can't be done.

My duck has been in the chicken wire coop since April,,with the chickens. I decided about a week ago to leave the duck out over night ,,with the neighbors ducks ,that free range and have been coming over. The very first night and the only night I did this. I found my duck dead in the yard the next day with its head/neck missing. Almost certain a raccoon.
The next day one of the neighbors ducks ,,,,dead,,,same thing,,head/neck missing only.

I have 3 live traps set now,,and have not caught anything but a kitten. My chickens have had no issues in the coop. If a raccoon can walk right through the chicken wire,,seems it would have happened by now. Its been there for 2 years now. I do not lock chickens down at night,,,just inside a chicken wire coop.

This is the first time any of my animals have been killed. And ,,,,,if or when I catch a raccoon. I am going to put it into a securely fastened chicken wire cage and see if it can get out. I have a very large ,,heavy metal cage I can put this experiment inside of,,,so if it does break through,,it will still be trapped.

I do believe it is possible for a raccoon to chew through chicken wire.. But its not going to be easy and it is risking injury. It may do it to escape and for its life, but I think it is uncommon for it to do so for food,,or to get to a chicken. At least not with new wire.

I am also betting there are more out there that feel the way I do but don't want to speak up against the majority,,or as it seems.

Quote:
OK,,this is what I want to hear. So tell me,,,did it come loose from the edges?? Or did it break all the strands where he hit it,,,, and actually break the wire?? What size wire??

And I should have stated above,,I am referring to 1 inch chicken wire.

He ripped right through the fence. The staples held fine. We placed wood posts every 6 feet. It was regular 1" poultry wire.

I had a 3'x3' raised pen, 1/2" hardware cloth floor, metal roof, wood back, and three sides had the 1" chicken wire on it. It was housing some young barred rocks and about 4 weeks ago two coons (I think) ripped it aprt. One on each side and ripped a 12" hole in each side of the chicken wire. Staples held fine. They ripped the holes right in the middle of the wire. I will not use chicken wire again. Ever.

Quote:
Ok,,first link shows a hole in chicken wire and many responses say it looks human made,,,or sabotaged. Who knows. Sure would be nice to see a close up picture of that.
Second link ,,,pictures are not opening ,,or a dead link for me.

I'll say this again,,if there is a weak link in the fence from being old or new wire that is cut on accident and not noticed. It can cause easy access for an animal. These reports are far and few between. There are more people using chicken wire than anything else. And I'll bet that there are 1000s but yet not much first hand evidence. But there are a whole lot of believers out there.

Here's a 2008 topic on this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39419 I scanned through this the other night,,but read it ,,and out of all the responses show me one first hand experience where something tore through wire. Well other than a rooster!!!(yep,,someone said their rooster ripped right through it)
Most is speculation and rumor.

Are you all telling me that a raccoon is stronger than I am??? I'm 180lbs and in very good condition.

Quote:
Ok,,first link shows a hole in chicken wire and many responses say it looks human made,,,or sabotaged. Who knows. Sure would be nice to see a close up picture of that.
Second link ,,,pictures are not opening ,,or a dead link for me.

I'll say this again,,if there is a weak link in the fence from being old or new wire that is cut on accident and not noticed. It can cause easy access for an animal. These reports are far and few between. There are more people using chicken wire than anything else. And I'll bet that there are 1000s but yet not much first hand evidence. But there are a whole lot of believers out there.

Here's a 2008 topic on this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39419 I scanned through this the other night,,but read it ,,and out of all the responses show me one first hand experience where something tore through wire. Well other than a rooster!!!(yep,,someone said their rooster ripped right through it)
Most is speculation and rumor.

Are you all telling me that a raccoon is stronger than I am??? I'm 180lbs and in very good condition.

O.K. I get your idea. Nobody is ever going to convince you, so it is your risk to take. YOU do not have claws and teeth. If you are willing to bet your chickens lives with chicken wire that is your choice, me, I built the best chicken fort I possibly could. Choices.

Back
Top Bottom