Is chicken wire ok for reducing my chain link opening? Updated

Quote:
I don't want to use hot wire as i have dogs that are loose on occasion and barn cats.. plus my kids.. there are no windows.. it's just a regular chain link dog kennel.

A hot wire won't do permanent damage but friendly critters. and even us farm kids, learned at a very young age to just steer clear of it and it beats losing our favorite pet animals and birds to the big bad predator

Quote:
I don't want to use hot wire as i have dogs that are loose on occasion and barn cats.. plus my kids.. there are no windows.. it's just a regular chain link dog kennel.

A hot wire won't do permanent damage but friendly critters. and even us farm kids, learned at a very young age to just steer clear of it and it beats losing our favorite pet animals and birds to the big bad predator

Quite true.

Last edited:
I have a dumb question about using a hotwire. What about the door area? Doesn't the wire have to be one continuous run? If so, does it go over the walk-door? Or do you disconnect and reconnect it each time you open the door?

Quote:
If you don't require the door itself to have a hotwire on it, you'd just run an insulated wire over the doorframe to carry the electricity to the hotwire on the far side.

If you require a hotwire on the door itself, usually you'd wire it so that you unhook the hotwire there before opening the door, and it works best if it's done so that unhooking the door hotwire renders teh door hotwire dead but the rest of the fence stays live (which again involves having an insulated wire run over the doorfame to carry electricity to other side)

It is really quite easy, no big deal at all.

Pat

Leaving the wire at the door works wonders on the neighborhood brats!

No really you can easily bypass a door or they have spring loaded handles that you simply unhook to go thru then reconnect.

Back
Top Bottom