Is chirp a boy or Girl? 7-9week RIR?

chickiefun

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
Here is Chirp...
[/IMG]

7-9 weeks old, stands tall , is getting some pinkish on its comb, seems to have late feathering. Likes to peep while it eats, likes to snuggle all the time, lets the kids play with it and enjoys the attention, and it would peep/sing in its sleep, likes to roost high and take afternoon naps in the flowers.

What makes you think its a boy? I mean I think it may be boy because of the late feathers, size and that its getting some pink in and that it stands tall when its looking through the widow for me... but I don't have any other chickens to compare it to (the last two I had were mixed silkies/barredrock that turned out to be boys too and so were smaller birds in comparison). Its comb is there but don't RIR have big combs? Or only the males at this age? Its not yet acting like my last two roosters who liked to pretend fight each other alot, but then again this guy is all alone.

What makes you think its a boy? I mean I think it may be boy because of the late feathers, size and that its getting some pink in and that it stands tall when its looking through the widow for me... but I don't have any other chickens to compare it to (the last two I had were mixed silkies/barredrock that turned out to be boys too and so were smaller birds in comparison). Its comb is there but don't RIR have big combs? Or only the males at this age? Its not yet acting like my last two roosters who liked to pretend fight each other alot, but then again this guy is all alone.
His facial expression is that of a cockerel.

However, I am not 100% sure!

Last edited:
Usually only roos get combs and wattles that young.

Back
Top Bottom