Is Coconut and Coconut Oil Good for Chickens ?

chirpy chicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Hi
smile.png

I've 14 chickens
smile.png
and I was wondering if they would like some coconut
hmm.png
? I have two and since no one will eat them I thought the chicken's could have them ? Is Coconut good for them
hmm.png
? I've also read Coconut Oil is meant to be good for chickens (we give our dog's) is that true ?

smile.png

Yes, it's good for them, though the flesh itself can be hard for them to consume whole. The coconut oil is anti-giardia, one of the few things you can use to treat that, and just generally all-round good for them. I used to feed mine Copra (coconut flesh after being pressed for oil, a protein source).

Best wishes.

Yes, it's good for them, though the flesh itself can be hard for them to consume whole. The coconut oil is anti-giardia, one of the few things you can use to treat that, and just generally all-round good for them. I used to feed mine Copra (coconut flesh after being pressed for oil, a protein source).

Best wishes.
Thanks chooks4life I've 2 coconuts and I was planning to give them half of one to see if they like it and if they do give them another bit in a week or 2 ?I have coconut oil I could also give then.Thanks for your reply :) BTW We've 14 large breed chickens 3 of whom are roosters :)

Everything in moderation...like us, they shouldn't eat too much fat.
Thanks aart I will give them a bit lo try and see if they like it half for 14 chickens should be fine. Right?

If they overdose all that will happen is that it would have a laxative effect. ;)

Don't worry about it. Just about anything is toxic in overdose but when it comes to natural, unrefined oils of an already nontoxic nature, all that happens is that they get the runs.

This is a good thing in many cases, it shifts bacterial overloads, parasites, etc. It's a natural part of the average wild animal's lifecycle to have looser stools at some point; they will often eat things they have learned will cause this.

You don't need to restrict access. Once they eat some and learn how their bodies react, they will self-regulate. Well, almost all animals will, you do get the occasional one that has no commonsense there, but it's not like it can kill itself on coconut. Unless it manages to eat the husks, or large parts of the shell, or chunks of hard flesh, and gets blocked up, of course.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom