Is cooking oil harmful if ingested?

awheel11

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
I was gone on a week long vacation with the family, and we had a friend feeding and watering our animals. I came home and noticed my coffee can of cooking oil had disappeared. (it had been used to coat their legs when I was dealing with leg mites) I went to go wash out the waterers in both of my pens and they had cooking oil in them! She somehow thought the cooking oil was water I had sitting in there and added it to my waterers. I have no idea how long she had been using it or how much was in each one. They were really greasy though. I washed them out and put in fresh water. My chickens are all acting normal, but could this have harmed them?

I would think your chickens will be okay, as olive oil is used for sour crop problems. I'd imagine the chickens were thirsty, though, with only oil to drink. How does someone confuse oil for water? I hope everyone's okay.

I don't think so. It shouldn't hurt them. It's just fat after all.

I don't understand how someone could mistake oil for water, and WHY on earth would you use stale old water from a can, when you need to be refilling them with FRESH water?????? Perhaps you should ask your petsitter what the heck she was thinking?? And consider finding someone else next time.

I would have been more worried about the chickens getting dehydrated in the heat....I mean who wants to drink greasy water??? Ugh
sickbyc.gif

i'm not sure how she did it
hmm.png
there's even a hydrant right beside the chicken coop so it's very easy access to get to. The chickens were very happy to see they had water again and were at the waterer for some time lol. I think they're gonna be just fine but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

This is the second post I just read on here about someone not taking care of a persons animals right . . .but yours is sort of funny. I bet the chickens talked about that funny thickish water at night when it was lights out!!!
gig.gif
You would think she would have noticed the different consistancy though wouldn't you??? Bet their poop slid right out with no problem too!!
lau.gif

Nope. It shouldnt hurt them. Olive oil is used for impacted crop and other problems with chickens. I think your chickens are gonna be finnee
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom