Is coop design safe enough?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by briana1975, Feb 27, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We have a large fenced in area cattle panels outside doubled up with chicken wire. That is the fencing. We are going to criss cross twine over top to deter hawks. The coop will be salt box design. Regular door and window left form remodel project in front of coop. All locking. Chicken door in back hinged and padlocked at night. We have clever coons. Also a smaller higher window in back also left over from house also able to locked from inside. Coop will be off ground but competely made of wood. Coop will be in center of chicken yard. Should we put motion senser light on outside of coop to maybe scare away anything that approches? Or does that even work. We have coons, possumes, coyotes, shunks, stray dogs, cats, hawks and bald eagles in the area. Chicken will be locked up in coop at night.

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    a picture would be nice

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Not built yet. This is just what I have come up with with my husband or far. Fencing is up already.Chicks aren't coming till Mid April. Coop will get finish in April once weather breaks.

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you've thought of most everything... seems the padlock might be a little overkill! If your raccoons are THAT smart, you better hide the key REALLY well!! [​IMG]

Other than that, lots of things can/will burrow under fence if there isn't anything to deter them, burying some fencing wire 8" or so below the soil level discourages that pretty well.. dogs can get through simple chicken wire if they try hard enough, either by tearing it or rushing it, it depends how intent they are... if your hens are closed up at night, it sounds like they'll be very safe then, but during the day, dogs be able to get through the wire.

I suppose the motion sensors or those lights that come on with motion would be interesting, if you're close enough, you can see what is prowling, and so know what to do about things, but it all sounds pretty secure.

5. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    latches are not a problem for coons,go with the padlocks,I use padlocks on four doors,better safe than sorry..I experienced coon attacks on my birds,its not pretty by all means

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by