Is Corid harmful to dogs?

wildwoman8

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2017
I'm going to be treating my free range chickens with corid due to a coccidiosis outbreak. I have water buckets all over my property that the dogs also drink from. Before I treat the water, I need to know if it will be harmful to the dogs.

According to Google, it is also sometimes used in dogs as a treatment so it should probably be okay but I don’t think it’s a great idea to give it to them if there’s nothing wrong with them. I think the better idea would be to lock them up if at all possible and give them their own water source. It would only have to be for a few days to a week or so while you treated them then they could go back to free ranging.

Thank you! Just to be safe, I'll keep the birds in their coop for a few days. They will complain loudly but they'll get over it. Lol

Thank you! Just to be safe, I'll keep the birds in their coop for a few days. They will complain loudly but they'll get over it. Lol
No problem!! And I understand what you mean about complaining!! Lol I’ve been letting mine free range a lot more lately (they didn’t used to be let out every day) and now they’ve gotten used to it so they complain loudly if they are not let out 😂😂

According to Google, it is also sometimes used in dogs as a treatment so it should probably be okay but I don’t think it’s a great idea to give it to them if there’s nothing wrong with them. I think the better idea would be to lock them up if at all possible and give them their own water source. It would only have to be for a few days to a week or so while you treated them then they could go back to free ranging.
We got 5 hens (that had it) and returned them. But they exposed our two hens. We are treating the water with Corid, scraped off top layer of dirt in the pen and dusted lime over the ground. Should we lock our two inside (so they drink the treated water) knowing the infected hens were in there two days?

We got 5 hens (that had it) and returned them. But they exposed our two hens. We are treating the water with Corid, scraped off top layer of dirt in the pen and dusted lime over the ground. Should we lock our two inside (so they drink the treated water) knowing the infected hens were in there two days?
It might be a good idea but I’m not really sure. @casportpony might know

The treated water needs to be the only water they have access to, or they won't get enough of the medication. So, yes you may need to lock them up to accomplish that. Are your hens showing any symptoms? Coccidiosis is very common, and older birds usually have some resistance to any strains they have been exposed to, and won't get sick unless exposed to a new strain or have weakened immune systems. How soon after you brought in the new birds did they get sick, and how old were they? The question is whether they brought it with them, or picked up a strain on your property. It's everywhere, very common, as I said. Not uncommon for birds to get sick with it when moved to new ground as they can be exposed to new strains there. Corid is very safe, so if in doubt, treat. If it's on your property, it's impossible to get rid of it really. Wild birds can bring it in, you can carry it in on shoes and clothing. Don't make yourself crazy trying to get rid of it. Keep droppings from building up, keep feeders and waterers clean and free of droppings, try to keep the area as dry as you can, standing water and wet mucky conditions can lead to break outs.

The treated water needs to be the only water they have access to, or they won't get enough of the medication. So, yes you may need to lock them up to accomplish that. Are your hens showing any symptoms? Coccidiosis is very common, and older birds usually have some resistance to any strains they have been exposed to, and won't get sick unless exposed to a new strain or have weakened immune systems. How soon after you brought in the new birds did they get sick, and how old were they? The question is whether they brought it with them, or picked up a strain on your property. It's everywhere, very common, as I said. Not uncommon for birds to get sick with it when moved to new ground as they can be exposed to new strains there. Corid is very safe, so if in doubt, treat. If it's on your property, it's impossible to get rid of it really. Wild birds can bring it in, you can carry it in on shoes and clothing. Don't make yourself crazy trying to get rid of it. Keep droppings from building up, keep feeders and waterers clean and free of droppings, try to keep the area as dry as you can, standing water and wet mucky conditions can lead to break outs.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. The new 5 hens brought it. They had watery poop, no substance and their beaks were clipped so they hardly ate. Our hens have been laying about 6 weeks so they are not old. But their poop has always been very normal. Only one pooped watery yesterday (sick hens were here Tues evening thru Thurs morning) and was not as spry as normal. I'm leaving them locked up for the next 5 days to ensure they get enough meds.
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom