Is Daisy a Duke?

Julieh101

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2018
Rhode Island
D1641FBF-4FE6-4FFA-82B2-12F6AB8BFDCB.jpeg
C480619D-844F-4947-B174-E0B0AB64C295.jpeg
0DAF293D-97E8-4BB5-AAA5-E9DA9FB98F2B.jpeg
I’m worried that my RIR is a rooster. She is 6 weeks old and looking very much like a rooster to me. I am new to having chickens so I am not sure. I’ve been hoping she is a girl since we are not allowed to have roosters in my town. Thoughts?

I agree- if you have any females of the same breed, compare their comb size and also leg/foot size. I've seen a couple of large pullets with big feet (one we named ... Big Foot) but their feathers always indicated female.

Hate to mention this- the lighter barred bird (on the LEFT in the first photo) might be a boy too- also really big legs/feet. If the birds on either side in that first photo are both barred rocks- you've almost certainly got a boy barred rock and a girl barred rock.

I only have 1 so nothing to compare to. That is a Dominique. I’m worried about her too. She is so much lighter/bigger than Mabel I’m so sad first time and I probably have 2 boys

Sorry ... Opal is an Opie. To have a comb that big and feet that big- there is no question. Sickle feathers haven't started growing yet.

I'm going to suggest- if those are your only 3 birds- that you find a couple friends for your one girl on the double- whether you order more chicks through the mail- or look locally - once the boys start figuring out they're boys- that poor girl is in for it. The other problem is/will be if she doesn't have any one else- they need at least one friend- as you can't keep boys- time to get some girls started so they can bond with her and make the loss of her flockmates easier.

... by which I mean don't let her be an only bird - if you're limited to three, I'd still pick up 2 more and start actively trying to rehome the guys. If you're starting with baby chicks- I know mypetchicken ships on Mondays. Some hatcheries do sell and ship 6 week old pullets.

Back
Top Bottom