is day 18 the last day to turn or should the end of day 17 be last day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i am comming up to my 18th day and i was wondering do you turn the eggs on the 18th day or is the 18th day the first day you dont turn, i know this has been asked a million times but i just couldnt find the answer thanks

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Nope....

no turning on days 18, 19 ,20 and 21 [​IMG]

last time you turn is before you went to bed on the night of day 17 ( if you turn by hand )

[​IMG] hope this helps

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thank you that will also be the day i candle them all i still have 46 in the bator the other 8 were non fertile but we will see thanks

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What are you doing with your duck eggs while the others are hatching?

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    im going to try to leave them in there and maybe when i take out some of the chiks i can quickly turn the eggs to but i am hoping the 3-4 day no turning eriod wont effect but i just might be a lil risk taker and use like a small skinny stick or tupe stick in through the already made hole for the fan which i dont have and use the stick to turn the duck eggs as they are right under the holes do you understand?

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd be more concerned with all the hatching goop that they're going to get on them when the chicks are hatching. I don't think you'll have to worry about turning them....the chicks will probably be knocking them around quite a bit.

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    yea i forgot bout them recking havok in the bator lol and the gunk will just add to the dirst already on the eggs have u seen my other post pictures they are already so dirty they were laid in the watery mud lol i didnt clean them as i didnt wanna wipe of the good oils and stuff on it so if gunk gets on it then it gets on it, this is my first time so i am sure there will be others next time for a duck and chicken egg mix breeding i could use some hardware cloth inside vertically to section off the area for duck eggs

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Good luck with your hatch. [​IMG]

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    it really is not that criticle.. I have had eggs in the turner right up to hatching..

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Since you are supposed to not turn them the last 3 days, that would be days 19,20, and 21. So you would stop turning them on the end of day 18, not 17.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by