Is DE safe for chickens

Actually DE is only effective on soft bodied critters when the DE is dry. It has no effect when wet, or in the gut.
It is open pit mined, bad for the workers, at least. Look that up!

Natural' doesn't mean 'harmless'!
It is a serious irritant to anyone's lungs, including your chicken's, and yours. And it has limited to no effectiveness against mites or lice out there.
It's useful in killing mites in feeds, especially if you don't get fresh feed all the time, or if it comes in from the store that way.
I would rather use effective products when necessary, rather than spreading this stuff around at random.
Mary
To true Mary people think its natural its safe it is a proven cancer causing agent in humans so will be no different in chooks there is no scientific evidence that this works as people claim ask any poultry expert and he will tell you to stay away from it why make your hens risk cancer because you like the idea and Joe Blog has used it for years you try breathing it in all day .....

Actually DE is only effective on soft bodied critters when the DE is dry. It has no effect when wet, or in the gut.
It is open pit mined, bad for the workers, at least. Look that up!

Natural' doesn't mean 'harmless'!
It is a serious irritant to anyone's lungs, including your chicken's, and yours. And it has limited to no effectiveness against mites or lice out there.
It's useful in killing mites in feeds, especially if you don't get fresh feed all the time, or if it comes in from the store that way.
I would rather use effective products when necessary, rather than spreading this stuff around at random.
Mary
Diamonds have a hardness rating of 9, DE has a hardness rating of 7, if diamonds get wet they do nit lose their hardness, neither does DE. If you research DE you will find out why. I have given DE to chickens with runny poop suspecting parasites, clear the next day or so, sounds like it’s effective to me. DE is most effective against hardbodies insects with exoskeletons like ants, beetles, and roaches. Very effective against internal parasites...me and my dogs and cats take it too.

I am conflicted. Some reports say that DE is safe for chickens and some say it is not because it causes respiratory problems. Can you of you more experienced chicken owners straighten me out on this issue?
I've used it for over 10 years with chickens, cats and dogs. I dust their bodies with it, sprinkle it in the coop, and sometimes add a little to their food. I use food grade DE that is safe for humans. I'm careful not to have it blowing around in the air. I viewed it under a microscope in college. It's actually very pretty. I also work with low-income folks who cannot afford exterminator services. I've seen many of them use DE to get rid of bed bugs, roaches and ants. For the hard bodied insects, it is effective on drying up their eggs. I have experienced nothing but positive results.

I'm so confused! Half of people say it is beneficial and kills/ prevents bugs, the other half say it gives the chickens respiratory problems and cancer in humans. I guess to play it safe I just won't use it.. :barnie

DE does work; externally, when it is dry.
It does nothing when it gets wet.
It is harmful to lungs when breathed in.
It does nothing when eaten.
Use best judgement, but look up the facts first.
I personally wouldn't shower my chicken's coop in it.
DE is very dusty, and using it in a small enclosed space is a no-no for lungs.
Know how chickens love to scratch around? Woosh, into the air it goes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom