Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Maybe (if cheap)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Read Comments

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
I recently was informed that I had mites when trying to sell some of my roosters.
Everybody has so far recommended that I use Diatomaceous Earth.
However, after reading some reviews I have gained mixed reviews.
No!
Use 10% permethrin and dilute it according to the label. Clean out and spray the coop thoroughly and spray all birds under each wing, under the belly and around the vent.
Repeat all again in 10-14 days

permethrin works great, but I still dust my coop every few days with DE as a precaution and seems to work as a preventative... my philosophy is do everything you can that is safe and severely limit problems, or so I think:confused:

permethrin works great, but I still dust my coop every few days with DE as a precaution and seems to work as a preventative... my philosophy is do everything you can that is safe and severely limit problems, or so I think:confused:
Maybe it works well as a preventative measure??? I don't know if that is true or not but if you are not having problems and like the results then say keep doing it. Although I have heard it can lead to lung cancer if it gets in their respiratory system. Rumor at this point because I didn't care enough verify that rumor... besides I doubt chickens live long enough to get lung cancer. That takes a while too manifest.

DE comes with risks to more than just the chickens lungs.
YOUR lungs can be affected too.

It is a very fine powder and becomes airborne very easily. The birds get exposed repeatedly when they get off the roosts or scratch around in a coop that has this in the bedding.

Once airborne it floats outside and is harmful to bees as well as other beneficial insects.

Then there is the human exposure when tending the birds or cleaning the coop.

For me the risks far out weigh the UNPROVEN effectiveness in a coop.

I recently was informed that I had mites when trying to sell some of my roosters.
Everybody has so far recommended that I use Diatomaceous Earth.
However, after reading some reviews I have gained mixed reviews.

You can try Elector PSP to spray your coop/roosts, under roosts, every corner, nest boxes, etc. If you have hay or straw in your nest boxes or as bedding, that might be where the mites came in and/or are presently hiding. Elector PSP is pricey, but a tiny amount (mixed with water) goes a LONG way. Takes about 2-3 days to kill the mites- but then works for a good long time. Permethrin dust as mentioned in other posts to treat the birds themselves.

As for DE, I agree with the NO DE -- this is a helpful article:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-cut-dry-truth-about-diatomaceous/

Back
Top Bottom