Is duck poop considered less hot than chicken? Would fermented feeding make a difference? Anyone k

deedles

Crowing
16 Years
Apr 5, 2007
I'd appreciate if anyone had some advice about this. Wondering if I should compost the duck house bedding or if some could go on the garden bed directly. We do feed fermented and they have access to free range including a river.

thanks

I water the duck poop right into the grass for fertilizer and we use the duck pond water on our garden. The duck poop is more liquid so it breaks down with water and it can be used directly on vegetation without burning it.

Chicken manure needs to be composted first or it will burn vegetation so it is harder to break down into usable fertilizer. I had some planter boxes that the chickens liked to perch on during the day and they killed a strip of grass where their butts hung over due to the poop being too hot and burning the grass, much like dog poop will kill grass.

We have started restricting the chickens to one area of the yard to keep their poop confined while the ducks can poop anywhere. The only times ducks leave noticeable piles of poop is when they are broody. Their normal poop just soaks into the ground and keeps the grass green.

Okay thank you. I have a deep pile of poop bedding in the duck house, started last summer and have just been adding leaves and straw and pine needles since then and kind of turning it every couple weeks so it's partly composted already. Maybe I'll put some in each of our raised beds. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom