Is excess noise indication of illness?

TxAg11

Chirping
Jan 12, 2016
Houston, TX
First, please see attached video.
Several weeks ago our white brahma started making noise. Now she does it ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. Even at night! It's gotten hot now in Houston, so some of our chickens have started panting with their mouths open (see Orpington behind tree). Is this normal?

All hens have dust bath areas with DE, plenty of water, a balanced diet, and plenty of shade/space. They were de-wormed using wazine a month and a half ago.

I have no idea why my brahma is making this incessant noise! If it's an indication that she's sick, I want to fix it. If she's just being awful, then I'm giving her away. Please, we need help. This is driving us crazy!

She looks healthy and all .... think she is just a chatterbox, but I guess she could be complaining about being hot if this behavior has only started since then. Could set up one of those stand up misters in your yard (about $12 at Home Depot and other places). Ours didn't like it at first but now they walk through it, sometimes even standing in it, to cool off. It is hot and humid here but the cool mist it delivers is very nice and seems to keep everyone cool. We also give them a slice of watermelon to help cool them and they love it.

Yes, they will pant when they get hot and spread their wings away from their bodies. Try the mister and some watermelon before giving her away ... she is cute.

We have been giving them cantaloupe almost every day, and that still doesn't stop her. We got the white brahma because I read that they were very docile and silent. We aren't even supposed to have chickens in our neighborhood/city, so I'm worried this one loud one might blow our cover! Could it be a symptom of being the top-hen in the pecking order? Our last alpha was super noisy too

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. We got a buff orpington because she was supposed to be docile and sweet, but she lets everyone know she is not going to be near the bottom of the pecking order. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom