1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is feeding oatmeal to chickens ok???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by StaatsFarms, Jan 6, 2010.

1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it dry as a treat to get them back in the coop all the time. They love it. We don't have the cold weather to justify making a hot breakfast for the chickens. Sorry. We have been in the 70's all week.

2. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I use oatmeal and cornmeal to sop up liquids in leftovers I'm giving them. I also use oatmeal as a way to feed them eggshells.

3. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    My feathered kids love oatmeal....with goodies ! I don't cook it, just add to hot water in the mixing dishes and let set for about 5 minutes. Then I add goodies....they love Ocean Spray...MUST be that brand, no other, dried crasins, will mix in half a 12 oz bag, add higher protein flock raiser, any other fruits, and just hardboiled my last "store" eggs, chopped them up, shells and all and mixed it up, made sure still warm and fed it to them. Their most favorite fruit is BANANAS. Can't eat them fast enough !
    I like to give them a warm breakfast one morning and the next scratch. Some times I add DE to the warm food also and ACV as well a couple of times a week.
    My RIR girls started to lay a few wks ago.....first, one, then 2 and then 3 out 6. Today, after that wonderful warm breakfast I was rewarded with 5 eggs out of 6 RIR !!! BUT, I had one egg that looked like a goose had dropped by and left it. I have an egg scale, 2 were med, 2 large and the 5th one read waaaay off the scale...must have been a jumbo ! I totally love my girls...so happy I got back into chicks last August after 35 years of not having any. Best thing I've done in my retirement !
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Do tell, WisconsinGardenChick... how do you get your oats to sprout?? I can't do it. I bought whole oat kernels (not the flat oatmeal) at our local coop, in the bulk bins, and soaked them, along with whole wheat kernels. The wheat sprouted just fine. The oats just soak up the water and none sprout. Someone told me they are "heated" to preserve them (??). Where do you buy yours?

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Cooked oatmeal... Don't make it too sloppy or they will sling that glue, far and wide!

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I read somewhere that raw oats are not good for chickens, but mine get all of the leftover oatmeal every morning they especially love it will cranberries [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Yeah those are the cranberries that I was talking about! they love it!

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I cook oatmeal on really cold days and my add-ins are some of the following (depending on what's around):

Nuts
    Banannas
    BOSS
    Crack a couple eggs in while cooking

Their favorite seems to be BOSS or nuts. I sometimes sprinkle the top with a handful of cat food or some greens or cracked corn.

9. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I make steel cut oats for myself every morning and feed half to the ladies! I mix in some milk in there for them too. they go nutz for it!

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Really?

Oats are an ingredient in a lot of commercial chicken feeds. I doubt the oats are cooked before the mills process it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by