Is fermenting pellets really beneficial?

Once the pellets are inside the chicken (where it is moist), they would probably absorb just as much water, and swell up just as big. Every time I butcher a chicken, I find the material being digested is thoroughly moist, not dry.

So I would not expect a problem with feeding the pellets wet and already expanded.

With your example of rice soup, that would make you have a lot more water than you usually do. The fermented feed probably does not contain more water (or not much more) than what the chickens would drink anyway.

Also with your rice soup example, you might get full and stop at one meal, but you would probably be hungry again before the next mealtime, so you might have another bowl of rice soup as a snack. Most people are used to eating their food in just a few meals each day, and not eating much in between. But chickens prefer to munch a bit at a time all day long. So needing to eat more frequently shouldn't bother them.

I would leave a feeder of dry pellets available too, and then the chickens can choose whether to eat some of them. They are definitely smart enough for that.
It's possible that pellets absorb just as much water in chickens' body. However, when I saw food in a butchered chicken's crop, it was moist but not that wet, as if it was tightly squeezed.
It seems to me that chickens would consume more water when they eat fermented feed than dry feed. I wish I could measure the difference but it's just not practical to do.
At least I can try to drain fermented food as much as possible.

Another concern of them eating fermented food was the possibility of their body temperature going down from eating cold, wet feed frequently throughout the day in winter.
I started to warm up fermented pellets but a few chickens low on the pecking order can't eat it until other chickens are done and the feed is cold unless I prepare one bowl for each of 10 chickens.
Also it's not practical warming up the fermented pellets several times a day to keep them warm.

And yes, I leave dry food with fermented one and chickens much prefer it fermented.

This question is specifically about fermenting pellets the volume of which increases up to 4-5 times once it's soaked.
I can see that the fermentation does good to the feed but I'm just worried that chickens might not be able to eat enough feed because fermented feed makes them too full before they get enough nutrients.
I noticed that my chickens eat feed more often when it's fermented compared to it's dry.
I drain the fermented feed but still, some juice comes out after a bit and the volume is still a lot more than before.
I know people say that chickens eat less feed when it's fermented but I wonder they just can't eat enough of it because they get full quickly eating the feed with so much water absorbed in it.
It's like me having to eat 5 bowls of rice soup which could've been just one bowl of cooked rice. I won't be able to eat all those 5 bowls of soup and would give up eating after 2 or 3 bowls. I wouldn't get enough nutrients if all my meals were like that.
I'm not trying to criticize fermentation. I'm trying to find out what's the best way to feed my chickens and just wondering how feeding fermented pellets works as I can't get whole grain feed easily.
Just curious, how are you keeping your fermented feed (anything left in the bowl) from freezing during sub-zero temps?

It's possible that pellets absorb just as much water in chickens' body. However, when I saw food in a butchered chicken's crop, it was moist but not that wet, as if it was tightly squeezed.
It seems to me that chickens would consume more water when they eat fermented feed than dry feed....
Was the other kind of food also moist but not that wet? After it is past the gizzard.

I was surprised by how much crumbles and pellets expand once they're soaked and wondered if chickens eating less fermented feed is merely because they just can't eat the same amount of volume or because they can get enough calories and nutrients from eating less feed once fermented.
If commercial operations don't ferment feed that shows fermenting feed doesn't save feed cost.
Still, fermented feed is very likely beneficial for chickens' gut health and immune system.
I was mainly worried that my chickens might not be getting enough nutrients if they eat fermented feed all the time so I'll give them both fermented and dry food and keep observing them.
Depending on the time of year...so in winter when foraging isn't as effective..I do ferment the feed for morning feeding..easily absorbed nutrients and water is ingested after a night of fasting..also ensures water intake as our winters are severe and waterers can freeze..( I do not have electricity in coops) then for evening feed for extra boost of energy it's corn, oats and mealworms/larve. Pellets and oyster shell are available in each coop for at will ...In summer I do not ferment, as any uneaten goes rancid due to heat and foraging is more easily done for insect ect. I also do not feed in morning so they ACTIVELY forage..evening feed is then their layer pellets...no corn, worms oats ECT..as extra energy not needed..but these things are then used ONLY for treats or training..maybe twice a week? This has kept my feed cost down...

Depending on the time of year...so in winter when foraging isn't as effective..I do ferment the feed for morning feeding..easily absorbed nutrients and water is ingested after a night of fasting..also ensures water intake as our winters are severe and waterers can freeze..( I do not have electricity in coops) then for evening feed for extra boost of energy it's corn, oats and mealworms/larve. Pellets and oyster shell are available in each coop for at will ...In summer I do not ferment, as any uneaten goes rancid due to heat and foraging is more easily done for insect ect. I also do not feed in morning so they ACTIVELY forage..evening feed is then their layer pellets...no corn, worms oats ECT..as extra energy not needed..but these things are then used ONLY for treats or training..maybe twice a week? This has kept my feed cost down...
It's a good idea to give them fermented feed in the morning in the winter. I am more inspired to give them at least soaked feed if note fermented for breakfast while it's cold.
I'm also trying to give them something with more protein and/or carbs before they go to bed like chicken scratch (wheat, oats and corn) and sunflower seeds. I give them a bit of cat food when it gets very cold as they're cheaper than mealworms.
Not feeding them in the morning during summer sounds interesting. If I could be sure that my chickens can find enough from foraging, I'd like to try that, too.

If I could be sure that my chickens can find enough from foraging, I'd like to try that, too.
If you don't use any chemicals, and let native plants (usually labelled 'weeds') grow in a 'wildflower' section of the garden/yard, you'll be surprised how quickly it gets colonized by local wildlife. Diversity of plants, fungi, and animals is the target; the more the merrier. Besides what you can see, the soil will be being colonized by masses more, especially insects and fungi, and that's what the chickens are looking for when they scratch away the surface detritus and soil.

If it turns out there is a bully/invasive plant among the weeds, you can solve the problem by just pulling up some or all of the offender as and when required. And if you see your chickens favouring a given plant or area, you know what plants you might usefully encourage to spread. In my experience, if the chickens have access to sufficient forage area, they will naturally rotate their grazing and scratching and not eat anything to destruction; they are good husbands of their resources on the whole.

If you are around during the day, it is also possible to offer feed to any bird that turns up at the back door, as a safety net while you're trying this out (and thereafter). If you do this, they catch on quick that there's regular food available if they need or want it.

If you don't use any chemicals, and let native plants (usually labelled 'weeds') grow in a 'wildflower' section of the garden/yard, you'll be surprised how quickly it gets colonized by local wildlife. Diversity of plants, fungi, and animals is the target; the more the merrier. Besides what you can see, the soil will be being colonized by masses more, especially insects and fungi, and that's what the chickens are looking for when they scratch away the surface detritus and soil.

If it turns out there is a bully/invasive plant among the weeds, you can solve the problem by just pulling up some or all of the offender as and when required. And if you see your chickens favouring a given plant or area, you know what plants you might usefully encourage to spread. In my experience, if the chickens have access to sufficient forage area, they will naturally rotate their grazing and scratching and not eat anything to destruction; they are good husbands of their resources on the whole.

If you are around during the day, it is also possible to offer feed to any bird that turns up at the back door, as a safety net while you're trying this out (and thereafter). If you do this, they catch on quick that there's regular food available if they need or want it.
It sounds like my chickens should be able to get enough breakfast from foraging in the summer as our property is big with some forest and grassy areas.
But in the summer they still ate a good amount of feed, which was available all the time, even though they were foraging a lot rotating areas. I know they prefer whatever they can find from foraging over feed. So I thought they just couldn't find enough to fill them up.
Have you noticed any difference in egg production when you fed them in the morning and when you didn't?
What time do you feed them in the afternoon or evening in summer?
Another worry is that they might expose themselves to danger more to forage when they're hungry than they're not.
I'll have to find out from experimenting though.

Back
Top Bottom