Is first Saturday lime safe for chickens?

katie_3487

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
I have a question for all chicken keepers. Is first Saturday lime safe for chickens to eat? I’ve heard it’s safe for them to TOUCH, but I haven’t heard that they can eat it. My chickens tend to peck at their bedding and I don’t want them accidentally eating it if it’s not safe.

Chickens explore their word with their beaks. You have to EXPECT that they will try some, and finidng they don't care for it, ignore it thereafter. First Saturday Lime has been in use w/ chicken keepers more or less since it was first sold, and its precursors much longer. People have been using lime in animal keeping as a freshener for centuries.

Relax, take a deep breath, don't overthink it. The birds will be fine.

I have a question for all chicken keepers. Is first Saturday lime safe for chickens to eat? I’ve heard it’s safe for them to TOUCH, but I haven’t heard that they can eat it. My chickens tend to peck at their bedding and I don’t want them accidentally eating it if it’s not safe.
Thanks- asked for me!! Just got a bag in and was wondering the same thing! ;-) I already use DooKashi with my hemp which does enough for odor control really, but looking for natural pest/parasite control.... and trust me, they LOVE to find and peck every bit of DooKashi they can- even after they switched from wheat to oat bran ( think that's right..but it's got probiotics and I'm assured is safe for them)

BTW- this post is sev months old, so how's it been working out for you?! Just curious- was planning to use more or less instead of my normal DE (under bedding and in cracks as well as in dirt bath, etc) as that is getting to MY lungs and just want to err on the cautious side for me and my chick-chicks! ;-)
Also interested in the oft referred to and recommended "lime wash" I think they call it to paint the walls in coop or nest boxes...

Back
Top Bottom