Is Frank really a pure Marans rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by everythingjane, Jun 15, 2009.

1. everythingjane

everythingjane In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My Black Copper Marans rooster doesn't look quite like I think he should... Looked very nice when younger, but as he's gotten older, he developed strange traits.. He seems kind of mismatched and has earned the nickname "Frank" (Frankenstein).

He seems to be a bit top heavy and sits down often. None of the others learned to roost yet except one that I seperated from the group and put with the other chickens... I thought it was because they don't seem very smart, but now I'm wondering if they just follow this guy. He has larger bone than the others I have from the hatch, He has feathered feet, but they are overly feathered- feathers on his middle toes.

[​IMG]

Here he is with some of the others from the same hatch:
    [​IMG]
    Are they supposed to have two of the fleshy hanging things (wattles/lobes?) on each side of their faces? (LOL, sorry, I don't know the name-the other roo has two on each side, Frank has one on each side).

He doesn't walk quite like the others.. seems to kind of lean forward as he stands and walks. It's hard to describe, but I'll try to show it in the pictures below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't intend to use any of the chickens from this hatch for breeding Marans... too many faults/flaws... I was just curious as to why Frank looks so odd!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Songster

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    he does look rather different than any maran roos i've seen.. it almost looks like he could have turken genes in him? what do you think?

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Poor guy he is the danny divito of the chicken world

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    He looks pure, but maybe lighter build than a lot of others. If you would like to buy a nicer roo, let me know. I am growing some out right now...

5. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:What makes you say turken genes?

6. everythingjane

everythingjane In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    He is actually a heavier build than the others. He was significantly larger as a chick and still is bigger- I even asked the seller if he was from the same hatch.. his legs are much thicker too.. I've been suspicious that there could be a meat breed in there.. maybe cornish? I've read that the broilers can't stand for long periods and are not bred to reach maturity- their legs can't actually hold them? I thought that might explain his odd body structure.
    I'm not sure how the weird neck relates though.

I might have been interested in another rooster, but it doesn't look like I have a suitable hen.. Of five copper Marans in this group, two have developed yellow on their feet, the other two have absolutely no copper, and then there's Frank!

gabrielle1976, LOL... [​IMG]

7. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Songster

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    is that feathered feet I see? Cause if it is hes not pure.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Some lines of Marans have feathered feet.

9. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    You gave me a chuckle on the fleshy hanging things. Yes, they are wattles, and they should only have one on each side. The rooster you're not questioning doesn't have two wattles on each side: he has wattles and earlobes. The ones in back are earlobes, and sometimes they are droopy. Frank's look more right, I think, though I've never had marans. Pretty roos!

10. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Actually, he looks like he may have a touch of game fowl in there, though he could just be an ugly duckling. The feathered feet are fine- it just means that he is the French style of Maran.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: