Is free range safe?

Much more of a ground. They are afraid that the hot wire will start a fire.
Coyotes used to be plenty here. Not as many in the past few years. Not to say they aren’t there just not as numerous.
At one point we had a cougar. We saw her several times. I believe she’s gone now. I haven’t lost too
many if any in the past several months of free ranging. But this bunch is much smarter that the past groups I’ve had. They stick close to the coop. They are also a slimmer bird so getting out of way of predators is easier.

My whole reason for having chickens was my vision of seeing a mixed flock peacefully spread out over my green grass foraging for bugs and picking grass. If I couldn’t have that then I didn’t want birds. So, yes, I free range.

My 20 acres is completely fenced in (barbed wire) and my home sits in the middle of it, is fenced in (field fence) and has a gate on the driveway, as well. The horses roam the pasture that surrounds my 5+/- acre yard (the part I mow).

In addition to the two fences, I have two outside dogs, a Catahoula and a G Shepherd/G Pyrenees mix. My Shepherd/Pyrenees mix has been a godsend. She wandered up as a starving pup and captured all my family’s hearts. And she took absolutely no time to train. To begin with mostly just constant surveillance of her around the chickens with a leash on. If I thought she was looking at one of the chickens with the wrong intentions I would correct her. She made me a believer after only a couple of weeks. From the very beginning she has laid right in the midst of the birds while they graze or do whatever. On our really hot and humid Alabama days, the dogs and the chickens stay underneath our back deck. Yep, all 38 chickens and two dogs. It is a rather large deck (approximately 1000 sf) so they’ve all got enough room. Once the afternoon sun goes behind the trees they all come out and mingle in the yard.

There are coyotes, coons, possums, foxes and hawks. I am giving my dogs (and possibly horses) the credit for keeping the four legged critters away and my rooster and several hens for sounding the alarms for the hawks.

Yes, I am taking a chance, but it’s a chance worth taking, IMHO.

My whole reason for having chickens was my vision of seeing a mixed flock peacefully spread out over my green grass foraging for bugs and picking grass. If I couldn’t have that then I didn’t want birds. So, yes, I free range.

My 20 acres is completely fenced in (barbed wire) and my home sits in the middle of it, is fenced in (field fence) and has a gate on the driveway, as well. The horses roam the pasture that surrounds my 5+/- acre yard (the part I mow).

In addition to the two fences, I have two outside dogs, a Catahoula and a G Shepherd/G Pyrenees mix. My Shepherd/Pyrenees mix has been a godsend. She wandered up as a starving pup and captured all my family’s hearts. And she took absolutely no time to train. To begin with mostly just constant surveillance of her around the chickens with a leash on. If I thought she was looking at one of the chickens with the wrong intentions I would correct her. She made me a believer after only a couple of weeks. From the very beginning she has laid right in the midst of the birds while they graze or do whatever. On our really hot and humid Alabama days, the dogs and the chickens stay underneath our back deck. Yep, all 38 chickens and two dogs. It is a rather large deck (approximately 1000 sf) so they’ve all got enough room. Once the afternoon sun goes behind the trees they all come out and mingle in the yard.

There are coyotes, coons, possums, foxes and hawks. I am giving my dogs (and possibly horses) the credit for keeping the four legged critters away and my rooster and several hens for sounding the alarms for the hawks.

Yes, I am taking a chance, but it’s a chance worth taking, IMHO.

I agree so whole heartedly. I started with the intention of free ranging and I don't plan to stop. I started with guineas and now it is chickens. I have 27 chickens, with 7 game hens roosting in the trees. I have one leiper stag I kept this year, and he roosts in the coop; he doesn't want to leave his layer pullets, lol. If I couldn't free range, I doubt my interest in chickens would have held on and grown like it has. Plus, free range eggs are the best I've ever tasted, and others have agreed. Several of my wife's co-workers are hooked on my eggs. My 5 year old and I just love our eggs over easy on toast.

@BigBlueHen53 I didn't mean to imply your dog is apprehensive, my female is more like yours than my male, who can get off after something quick. I have left her out full time when he was injured, and she did quite well. I don't have much acreage, so they don't have to go far for me to worry. My Dad had a beagle mix that was apprehensive about getting too far from the house. He was a smaller dog though, and the coyotes in the field out back kept him on edge. He would bark at them and stay near his dog house.

Last edited:
We have an acre of land in Alabama and about 3/4 of it is wooded and not being used. The other 1/4 has our little home, shed, vehicles, greenhouse, etc. We also have 2 older (8yo) buff orps in a 200 sq ft enclosure; coop & run.

We want to get about 10 started pullets and my original plan was to build a 1,000 sq ft enclosure (coop & run) with a fenced top as well but now I'm wondering if I should just build a Fort Knox coop and then a topless enclosure (all hardware cloth of course for the sides) that takes up the entire 3/4 of an acre that's unused. I don't plan to cut down any trees, so is it safe?

I'm worried about trees falling onto them or hawks swooping in or other animals getting over the fence. I plan to attach a 1-2' hardware cloth skirt all around and build it about 6 ft tall.
Or should we just stick with the 1,000 sq ft enclosure with a top?

If we get a livestock guard dog, would it be safe to let the hens free range in a topless enclosure as long as they're locked up each night? What if the dog lives inside their enclosure and his dog house is right next to their coop? We're considering a Great Pyr or Maremma Sheepdog if they can handle a hot, humid climate.

Thoughts on all? Thanks!
I try to be as safe as possible and still let the birds roam.

I have a safe coop with a roofed, completely wired run that I have the chickens/ducks in at night. Night, dusk and dawn are the most dangerous for foxes etc, though they can come in daylight too. Daytime I let them out in a fairly big, fenced lawn/forest area. It has bird net over the exposed areas since birds of prey are the main concern here. They can be bought cheap on e-bay, payed 10$ for one that's 30x5 meters with free international shipping.

Much more of a ground. They are afraid that the hot wire will start a fire.
Coyotes used to be plenty here. Not as many in the past few years. Not to say they aren’t there just not as numerous.
At one point we had a cougar. We saw her several times. I believe she’s gone now. I haven’t lost too
many if any in the past several months of free ranging. But this bunch is much smarter that the past groups I’ve had. They stick close to the coop. They are also a slimmer bird so getting out of way of predators is easier.
I have had my electric wire up for many years. I use the poly rope wire and as long as I keep the weeds off of it I haven't had any problems. The wire I use can tolerate some weeds touching it bit I don't let them. Here the predators roam mostly at night because it's so hot during the day.
This was last night behind the coops (the date is wrong on the picture). The coyote knows the hot wires are there.
DSCF000199 03.jpg
DSCF000299 02.jpg

IMAG000199 02.jpg

We also have 2 older (8yo) buff orps in a 200 sq ft enclosure; coop & run.

We want to get about 10 started pullets and my original plan was to build a 1,000 sq ft enclosure (coop & run) with a fenced top as well but now I'm wondering if I should just build a Fort Knox coop and then a topless enclosure (all hardware cloth of course for the sides) that takes up the entire 3/4 of an acre that's unused. I don't plan to cut down any trees, so is it safe?
So this sounds like you have had chickens for a while, but have not free ranged them? Is that because you are to attached to risk them? Seems likely you'll feel the same about the newbies. I'd start with the big run, because IMO, there are always going to be times when you will need it, such as when a hawk or fox, etc is hanging around, if you have to be gone, etc. There is no such thing as safe free ranging. You can make things "safer" and increase your odds, with fences, electric or otherwise, LDGs, and so on, but there is always a risk. Trees and woods don't protect chickens, they hide predators. I totally agree, if you get a dog, LDG or pet, fence your property. Or get a big liability policy. Dogs are not always as easy to train as some of these folks have experienced. Especially if you have not trained one before.

I have had my electric wire up for many years. I use the poly rope wire and as long as I keep the weeds off of it I haven't had any problems. The wire I use can tolerate some weeds touching it bit I don't let them. Here the predators roam mostly at night because it's so hot during the day.
This was last night behind the coops (the date is wrong on the picture). The coyote knows the hot wires are there.
View attachment 1903264 View attachment 1903270
View attachment 1903273
That is so scary.

I would consider male dogs if you go that way, they mark their territory well and the ground predators will more likely stay away. I have a Australian Shepherd/lab mix and an unknown my son inherited and not much dares come inside the permittee, as they are well trained and the chickens if they are in the shade on a hot day use them to perch on. it's never gonna be completely safe you just do the best you can , lots of places for them to hide from aerial predators spaced around will help too.

Back
Top Bottom