Is free range safe?

That is so scary.
Actually, I think it's great. The chickens are safe in their coop, and @cmom says, the coyotes know the wire is charged. So why would they come back over and over? My guess is they are hunting mice/rats, which we all know are attracted by chicken feed. Natures pest control. Coyotes are not evil they're just part of the natural order.

Actually, I think it's great. The chickens are safe in their coop, and @cmom says, the coyotes know the wire is charged. So why would they come back over and over? My guess is they are hunting mice/rats, which we all know are attracted by chicken feed. Natures pest control. Coyotes are not evil they're just part of the natural order.
This is very true. I had not thought of it eating other things. I just hate knowing something is “lurking” around in the shadows of night. <shivering spine>

Hardly a night goes by when I don't see a predator on at least one of my cameras, mostly coyotes. My chick/grow-out coop.
DSCF0002112019 01.jpg

I would consider male dogs if you go that way, they mark their territory well and the ground predators will more likely stay away. I have a Australian Shepherd/lab mix and an unknown my son inherited and not much dares come inside the permittee, as they are well trained and the chickens if they are in the shade on a hot day use them to perch on. it's never gonna be completely safe you just do the best you can , lots of places for them to hide from aerial predators spaced around will help too.
I just recently lost my dog of 15 yrs. She was an aussie/black lab/pit bull mix. THE BEST DOG IVE EVER OWNED. People were always blown away by how well she was behaved. She would stay out on the property with my chickens, back when I had a huge flock. We lived in the desert, and there were tons of coyotes in the area. I only lost 2 birds to them, both times was because I forgot to close the birds up, and they got up and out before the dog did.

Back in her day she almost killed a couple of them, one time it was lent even our property we were on and she was protecting it.

I just say this, because if you have a good dog, you have a good dog, be it male or female. She wasnt spayed, but she never let a male dog touch her. She was top dog, and let the coyotes know it.

Native predators are part of the natural order of things, and we'd be hip deep in rabbits and rodents without them. Our chickens, cats, and small dogs are the outliers here.
However, we need to protect our critters, and that includes fencing, electric fencing, safe coops, and sometimes eliminating a persistent 'bad actor'.
And, as much as large predators are beautiful, I am glad there are no tigers, lions, or grizzlies right here!
My flock free ranges when possible, and it is a risk for them.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom