Is free range safe?

Even well trained dogs only folow yet training when supervised.
You can Not Leave a dog to protect a flock unsupervised for any reason. No matter how well l they are trained.
Once they get a taste for blood there dog is gone... No training works.
Get a donkey. They don't eat chick hen and will destroyed it any predator.

Donkeys, like horses or mules, may not 'connect' with the chickens, and so not ever think they are worth protecting. They may go after a canine because it's what they do, but then again, maybe not, and likely not because the chickens are threatened.
Mary

Even well trained dogs only folow yet training when supervised.

You can Not Leave a dog to protect a flock unsupervised for any reason.

No training works.

I respect your opinions, however I do disagree. Both of my dogs are with my chickens every minute of the day they are out free ranging. They all rest under our deck in the heat of the day, hang out in the run during a storm, and even lay/peck in the grass together. All of my animals seem to be thick as thieves, even the cats lounge around with the dogs and adult chickens (not chicks, though).

Yep, what you have to be careful with is dogs that are not yours. My neighbor has two dogs that protect the flock and used to have a cat that herded the chicks... that was fun to watch.

JT
I couldn’t agree more. Thankfully I have had no worries with strange dogs, probably in part to living in the middle of 20 acres of pasture and being enclosed by two fences. Our driveway has a locked gate, first and foremost to keep our dogs safe and out of harm’s way, but also to keep unwanted people and other animals out as well. That makes me sound mean and unsociable, neither of which I am, but it is what it is...and I like it like that. I feel safe, along with all my animals, when my DH travels for work. As a matter of fact he is in Beijing as I type this. Truth be known, I’m ready for him to retire though.

The cat herding story sounds like a hoot. Two of my three supposed barn cats have nothing to do with the chickens. One stays off hunting field mice in the pastures while the other one just lounges around under my shrubbery; however, my third, slightly overweight tabby, Tiger Lily is always in the midst of the chickens, doing whatever it is that cats do. Several of my girls still give an alert when they see her creeping up in the yard, right before she plops down to sleep, on her back with paws in the air...right in the middle of all the birds. Several of my youngest girls, mainly the two Penes, will stalk and chase Tiger Lily (now if that ain’t the pot calling the kettle black.) Generally she is trying to escape the viscous mockingbirds’ dive bomb attacks all the while keeping a look out for the two wild a** Penedesenca sisters. They are of a whole other breed of chicken, for sure.

The cat herding story sounds like a hoot.

Yea it was fun to watch some of my neighbors chickens used to wander over to my place with Sunshine the cat always nearby. If any of the young ones would get too far from the group Sunshine would herd them back to the group. It was so fun to sit up on my deck and watch that.

JT

Yea it was fun to watch some of my neighbors chickens used to wander over to my place with Sunshine the cat always nearby. If any of the young ones would get too far from the group Sunshine would herd them back to the group. It was so fun to sit up on my deck and watch that.

JT
Actually that is amazing when you think about it.

I respect your opinions, however I do disagree. Both of my dogs are with my chickens every minute of the day they are out free ranging. They all rest under our deck in the heat of the day, hang out in the run during a storm, and even lay/peck in the grass together. All of my animals seem to be thick as thieves, even the cats lounge around with the dogs and adult chickens (not chicks, though).

Glad to hear it, but we just recently had to put a favorite dog down because he started killing chickens out of the blue.
I believe to first was accidental, he was playing or thought the hen was and he cut her neck that set off the killing. He never ate them, just jumped and killed then brought them to us when they "stopped playing".
But he was also recently diagnosed with canine dementia.
All I'm saying is be watchful and never turn your back on nature.

All I'm saying is be watchful and never turn your back on nature.
Now this I do agree with. Growing up on a farm teaches you to always be aware of what’s going on around you. With animals as large and heavy as cattle and horses, one wrong step could cost a life or cripple it forever, even though they are tame and may be extremely gentle. The same could be said about dogs, and roosters, for that matter. I guess the correct thing to say would be, “Never say never.” I think that holds true with just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom