is frezer defost water safe to drink?

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
Hubby is now derosting the tiny frezer in a seperte dorm size refrigerator an older Kenmore about 3 feet tall the freezer small compartment at top is only about 1 foot wide.
well it freezes up kind of fast. so is that water and chunks of ice safe for chickens?
I tried searching this question on SEARCH engine but nothing about it.
otherwise I just give them some ice cubes from the ice trays. I dont have an icemaker hooked up. Mainly cause I personally dont use ice and the WATER here in this old place is so HARD>>.
HUH yall? thanks all

Hubby is now derosting the tiny frezer in a seperte dorm size refrigerator an older Kenmore about 3 feet tall the freezer small compartment at top is only about 1 foot wide.
well it freezes up kind of fast. so is that water and chunks of ice safe for chickens?
I tried searching this question on SEARCH engine but nothing about it.
otherwise I just give them some ice cubes from the ice trays. I dont have an icemaker hooked up. Mainly cause I personally dont use ice and the WATER here in this old place is so HARD>>.
HUH yall? thanks all
Pour some of that water into a tall glass, and have a sip of it yourself. If it tastes good, go ahead and give it to the chickens. Short answer: even though chickens drink out of mud puddles, I'd never give them water from a defrosting freezer. YUK!

Agreed - dont sweat it - they drink preferentially from all sorts of nasty sources

I would not give it to my girls. I keep 2 gallons of water in my fridge during the summer and dump and refill the under coop waterer up to 4 times a day. GC

ah well I guess he dumped it on my plants. Otherwise they get ice cubes in their boiled water from the sky... That big round or squared Glass container sits then in a playmate smaller cooler with blue ice around it. No city water for us.the other containers scarreted around are just air temperature.
Hubby just boiled a big stockpot of water for them out in the garage stove. It takes about an hour in that large stockpot to boil.....
fresh water everydAY. it rains so much its easy to catch in buckets and then lidded and kept in garage.
ah well thanks all

I'm a HVAC/R technician (heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration). Condensate water from your AC or defrost water from a refrigerator is not considered potable; its not a safe source of drinking water. You can store it up to flush toilets, but its not consumable without treating it first.

I did not say it was refrig defrost wtr. It was the ice that was on the inside walls of the freezer....
I know that refrig wtr def would be bad
thanks

I did not say it was refrig defrost wtr.   It was the ice that was on the inside walls of the freezer....
 I know that refrig wtr def would be bad
I meant to put freezer, not refrigerator. You cannot defrost a refrigerator because it doesn't freeze unless it is serviced with an inadequate amount of refrigerant. But I'm not splitting hairs. The point of my message was to share my professional knowledge which is Condensate water from any appliance, including a dehumidifier is not recognized by the FDA as being safe to drink.

Last edited:
well anyway found them drinking the dripping ac water outside. so blocked it with big rocks.... ben letting them out in whole prop lately. they so spoiled but with the hot sun lots time they end up back under the trees and grape vines in their big fenced in field... spoiled rotten

Back
Top Bottom