Is Grower feed okay to start with for baby chicks? And is it dangerous for them?

The-Last-HERO808

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
I worried because one of the chicks died and I don’t know if the reason is because I started them on grower feed? I have starter feed in the way at the moment. Please help

There is nothing in chicken Grower feed that will kill a chick. I sometimes start mine on Grower instead of Starter, depending on circumstances.

What Grower are you talking about? Grower is a generic name, could mean many different things. If you can give us enough information abut your specific Grower or a copy of the label so we can see analysis and ingredients we can look at it. But if it is for chickens it is really unlikely there is anything wrong with it.

Since it was only one it is highly unlikely it had anything to do with the feed. When you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with dead animals, that's just the way it works. If you can give us some details of what happened we might offer some insight, but sometimes a chick is born with something wrong, a birth defect of some kind. They may live for a short while but not for long. Or maybe one had an accident. Usually it is hard to determine exactly what happened but since it was only one it is extremely likely it had nothing to do with the feed.

There is nothing in chicken Grower feed that will kill a chick. I sometimes start mine on Grower instead of Starter, depending on circumstances.

What Grower are you talking about? Grower is a generic name, could mean many different things. If you can give us enough information abut your specific Grower or a copy of the label so we can see analysis and ingredients we can look at it. But if it is for chickens it is really unlikely there is anything wrong with it.

Since it was only one it is highly unlikely it had anything to do with the feed. When you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with dead animals, that's just the way it works. If you can give us some details of what happened we might offer some insight, but sometimes a chick is born with something wrong, a birth defect of some kind. They may live for a short while but not for long. Or maybe one had an accident. Usually it is hard to determine exactly what happened but since it was only one it is extremely likely it had nothing to do with the feed.

Thanks for reaching out, yes the feed is for chicks and the brand is Prairies Choice “grower” feed.

Attachments

• 2DF23F0B-259F-457E-8BC9-77DBF35D5D07.jpeg
    2DF23F0B-259F-457E-8BC9-77DBF35D5D07.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 8
And I use Dumor and almost never have one die. That's an example of how hard it is to tell what actually killed them. Dumor is not a problem for me and the way I raise them. Are you talking about your meat birds or maybe a laying flock? Mine is a laying/breeding flock that forages for a lot of their food.

Thanks for the label info, I could not get Prairie's Choice website to load. 18% protein. Most Grower has 16% so the one you use has higher protein content than mine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as a Starter or Grower.

Back
Top Bottom