is hatching turkeys difficult?

fowlmamma

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
northeastern pa
i just hatched my first batch of turkey eggs and 13 hatched but i had to help them out its like they were just done and giving up. now some of them are weak and 2 died. i had them in my genesis 1588 and the humidy was 50-60percent then on lockdown day 85 percent if you have any tips much appreciated for my next batch going in.

They are a bit tougher then chicks to hatch. I hatch mine fine at 65% humidity for lockdown. The bet the ones you helped out are the ones not doing good. They usually give up for a reason. Just make sure they are eating, drinking and warm. I always put 1 tsp ACV and 1/2 tsp of brown sugar per quart of water for the first few days. It seems to help.

I think your humidity was a little high I do mine @ 70% but the last hatch I had they were not as strong as the first but they were different breeds than the first one also all of my hatches are shipped eggs I cannot wait until I can hatch my own.

I agree. I think your humidity was too high for the final three days. I kept mine as near to 52% as I could manage for the first twenty five days and 65% for the final three.

Quote:
they pipped on day 27. the ones i helped out are either dead or half dead. my next batch is hatching next week when should i step in to help or just leave for the day and let them alone?

You need to leave a pip alone for atleast 24 hours then if you think you must help, then do it. I usually don't help unless I see that they have dried because I opened the door to get some out.(the late hatchers) If you help them then you usually get a weak poult. Some people have the time to feed and water with a dropper 24 hours a day but I have a job and only the strong surrive. I always hatch a few chicks or guineas with my poults to teach them to eat and drink although it is fun to dip my finger in the water and then ctick it in the food and have the poults peck it off my finger. Sometimes the jump into my hand and eat.

Back
Top Bottom