Is Hay Good for Chicken Bedding, Or Not Good?

Chickenz1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
I have been told two things by the same person..First, it's not good, then, it's ok as long as you change it often and don't leave it wet if it gets rained on..
Is there anything basically dangerous to chickens from dry hay? I know it is often DUSTY with hay dust..Is that harmful to them?
My chickens all seem to enjoy laying around in it and nibbling on it..
Anyone here use it? Any thoughts?
Hoping for enlightenment.
old.gif

We use hay for our bedding a little, and this is what I've noticed: It gets dirty easily, and when it is time to clean it out, it is SO heavy. We use it for the nest only, and sometimes in the winter for a little insulation. Also, I have read somewhere that mites love to use hay as a nice little bed. I don't know about you, but I can't clean the coop every day, so every drop of water is a drop waiting to house some parasites!

Thanks everybody.. I appreciate all the information..You'd think I'd know more after having chickens for about 4 or 5 years now, but I'm learning all the time..Faster now because of this website..I'm so glad its' here..
smile.png

I use a little bit of hay on top of the wood shavings but wouldnt use just hay. I agree with the last post, its really heavy dirty. I dont think that it absorbs as well as shavings do either. I wouldnt think that the dust would bother them as long as it is not overly dusty. My shavings are pretty dusty and I dont think that I have had any ill effects over that.

Thank you White Confections and Buffthorp.. I generally use it only in winter, but currently am using it for an injured rooster who is very thin and needs padding under him..I pick up any soiled/wet spots at least once a day..
Thank you both again.

DBF uses straw/hay in his coop and I use pine shavings in mine. I've noticed that the straw/hay gets stinkier faster because it isn't absorbent, but we find it easier to fork out and replace than the shavings. When my coop gets too stinky, I just add another bag of shavings and only clean it out totally once or twice a year although it's a bigger job. Not sure the dust matters either way; haven't had any problems.

over 8 years, I've used both shavings and hay. I prefer hay - it keeps them occupied in the winter, smells good, and I don't have a problem keeping it dry as the coop is dry and doesn't have a dirt floor.

mites are said to hide in straw because it is hollow...

I just add more hay as needed, and the droppings dry up real fast and get hard.

I do think it is easier to clean out the coop with hay, and it breaks down in the compost bin easier than the shavings. For me, it is cheaper than the shavings, too.

I have to agree that it breaks down faster. I cleaned my coop out roughly a month ago and put all the shavings in the garden. It STUNK. Of course we had alot of rain which didn't help but I swear you could smell it a mile away. Had to add agricultural lime and till it in. Took a couple weeks until the smell went away. Never had that problem with straw or hay.

I use pine shavings. I use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) or Stall Dry in my pine shavings, in the nest boxes, the birds run and places they like to dust bathe. As long as you keep the dampness out no stink, no flies, fleas, mites and such and have good ventilation.
This site has good information. It's not the one I was looking for. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

We use grass hay exclusively, with feed grade de on a dirt floor. No mites or flies and little if any smell. Can buy a large round bale for $40 delivered which cuts our costs by way more than half over pine shavings and lasts for months. Easy to fork out to the compost pile and keeps the floor cool since it is easily evaporative.
Average cost per egg to date is .09

Back
Top Bottom