Is He A Cameo Or Peach? He Has Gone Blind Already :(

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Yoda, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bdfive

bdfive Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    South of Blanco, TX
    I had no idea about the blindness in Cameo peafowl. Thank the Dear Lord I don't have any. Reading this breaks my heart. I'm so sorry.

2. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    Quote:i have 2 chickens that are blind and they are so friendly now they let me pick them up and walk all over with me. they are my 2 favorite chickens.

3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Talk to him when your in his space, Try to teach him movement, To follow voice derection, When I had a chicken that went blind, the chicken was easy to train (for my first one) and when I opened the coop in the morning, she would be the first one to greet me and say Hi and run outside with the others.

4. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    You know some Cameos and Peach birds do carry the blind gene, there were breeders that didn't care they were in it for the money so they sold their chicks unstead of culling out their blind breeders. I know someone that bought two Peach hens from a well known breeder and both hens are blind now.

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Further evidence that "Peach" is Purple Cameo....

[​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    not sure thats any proof, its a know fact peach came from the cameo, and yes some carry the blind gene. Have not hear of purple carring the blind gene.

7. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not "proof" but "further evidence." The "proof" was that the original breeder said that's how he made them.

[​IMG]

8. Exotics R Us

Exotics R Us Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Carolinas
    Why don't you contact the UPA and tell you are going to change the names of some of the Peafowl to suit your fancy.......... Just a thought since this is what your going to call them.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Please folks, start another thread to argue about this. This is Yoda's thread about his peacock, and I am sure he is devastated.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I never knew that. Why do they go blind?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by