1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is he leghorn??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FloridaFarmGuy, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FloridaFarmGuy

FloridaFarmGuy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    I'm new to chickens, but based on the description I've read he is a little big to be a leghorn. Cross between leghorn and another breed?
    I tried to get a picture with him up against something of comparable size, but he wasn't being cooperative. To give you an idea, that is a 2X4 inches behind him.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    White rock maybe? I think leghorns have white earlobes, while your guy has red.

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    White Leghorn :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He's a white Rock. You're correct, leghorns are leaner, more streamlined and probably weigh half what this guy does! They also have different tail sets and white earlobes.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This. [​IMG] With maybe a wee touch of Cornish as well, who knows.

That's no Leghorn. Not every white bird is a Leghorn.

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He is very meaty looking, isn't he? I get hesitant to post about eating birds if I'm not on the meat bird section, but if the OP were inclined to breed him and eat the cockerels, he looks like he'd throw some quite nice table birds!

7. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Is the tail the difference? Everything else looks the same to me.[​IMG]

8. Fred's Hens

The problem with the internet is that we cannot put two live birds in front of you. The Leghorn is aroudn 4-6 pounds, while that fellow would tip the scales at 8 pounds and even more when he's mature.

The comb is different, the stance is radically different, the body shape different, the tail different, and so forth.
    Again, if we had two birds side by side, your eye would see it. I've been looking at these birds and doing chores for hundreds and hundreds of White Rocks and White Leghorns since the late 1950's, so my eye is pretty darn accustomed to seeing the difference. LOL

Peak at my avatar. 1959

9. FloridaFarmGuy

FloridaFarmGuy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks so much. Something told me he was a cross breed or something else entirely. His size for one, and it seems to me all the leghorn pictures I have seen, those birds stand taller (if that makes sense)

So, does anyone know the dominance of their genes if I were to breed with a barred rock? Would the chicks more likely be white or barred looking?
    Only reason I ask is, that's what my hens are (barred rock)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

10. Fred's Hens

White Rocks breed true. Plymouth Rocks have many accepted varieties. White, Barred, Buff, Columbian, Silver Penciled, etc. Each must breed true.

If you put a White Rock over a Barred Rock you'd get some ghosting. Some would be faint, some would be more pronounced. If all you want is a stout meat bird and a pretty solid layer, it would make a great cross.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by