Is height ok on MHP?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
Is the height of this high enough? Chicks are about 3-4 days old I think. My heating pad goes up to 9 so I had it on 9 and they were all under it quiet but over half have had pasty butt in the last couple days which I heard could mean it was too hot so I turned it down to 8. So guess I will see.

Tried to post a video of them walking under it but it didn't work. Will try to get a picture of it

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_084451383.jpg
    IMG_20210412_084451383.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 10
It should touch their backs- maybe put it a little higher? I made my frame from a piece of heavy wire fencing. I really like this because it is higher in the middle and gives a variety of heights as it slopes to the floor on the sides. I also squashed the back lower, making sure to leave the back open a little so the chicks can get out the back if they want.

The varying heights allows the chicks to choose the right amount of heat for the conditions. Mine are in an unheated building, and during 20 degree F. nights I noticed they crowd against the side parts to get maximum contact with the heating pad.

Another nice thing about the flexible wire frame is that I can make the middle taller as they grow.

I think it is very important to make sure the chicks can't get in between the wire frame and the heating pad. I put my pad under the frame and closed the whole thing up inside a pillow case. You can use wide tape or bungee cords to keep the pad up against the frame. I also made sure the whole opening of the pillowcase was taped shut.
42FB97D2-6456-4CFF-96F0-1A2FD5C730EE.jpeg

I put straw underneath and on top to help insulate the cave.

It should touch their backs- maybe put it a little higher? I made my frame from a piece of heavy wire fencing. I really like this because it is higher in the middle and gives a variety of heights as it slopes to the floor on the sides. I also squashed the back lower, making sure to leave the back open a little so the chicks can get out the back if they want.

The varying heights allows the chicks to choose the right amount of heat for the conditions. Mine are in an unheated building, and during 20 degree F. nights I noticed they crowd against the side parts to get maximum contact with the heating pad.

Another nice thing about the flexible wire frame is that I can make the middle taller as they grow.

I think it is very important to make sure the chicks can't get in between the wire frame and the heating pad. I put my pad under the frame and closed the whole thing up inside a pillow case. You can use wide tape or bungee cords to keep the pad up against the frame. I also made sure the whole opening of the pillowcase was taped shut.
View attachment 2612050
I put straw underneath and on top to help insulate the cave.
It is higher in the front than the back but they can squeeze out the back if they want to. It is secured up that they can't get in any of the spaces between anything. They have to duck their heads to get under, well most but don't seem to have to crouch down.

It is higher in the front than the back but they can squeeze out the back if they want to. It is secured up that they can't get in any of the spaces between anything. They have to duck their heads to get under, well most but don't seem to have to crouch down.
That sounds good! I am new at this too, but I think the best thing is to watch their behavior. If they are all going under from time to time that would indicate that it isn't too warm for them. I would say this method is less likely to cause over heating since they can get away from the heat easily.

I am keeping my pad on the highest setting since the chick's room is so cold. (My babies are just over one week old.) A thought I had is that a mommy chicken doesn't have different heat settings. I guess the chicks must just come outside if they get too warm underneath her and our chicks can do the same.

That sounds good! I am new at this too, but I think the best thing is to watch their behavior. If they are all going under from time to time that would indicate that it isn't too warm for them. I would say this method is less likely to cause over heating since they can get away from the heat easily.

I am keeping my pad on the highest setting since the chick's room is so cold. (My babies are just over one week old.) A thought I had is that a mommy chicken doesn't have different heat settings. I guess the chicks must just come outside if they get too warm underneath her and our chicks can do the same.
Thanks. I had done so much research before getting them I didn't think I would be this nervous now that they are here. haahaa. They are running in and out and all over. on top to food, to other side, to water, under, back out and all over again. so it seems ok. But some have had pasty butt and read it can be caused from being too warm so then started to worry that I had it set to high of a temp. Then some had to duck to get in so worried that it was too low in the front for them........

Thanks. I had done so much research before getting them I didn't think I would be this nervous now that they are here. haahaa. They are running in and out and all over. on top to food, to other side, to water, under, back out and all over again. so it seems ok. But some have had pasty butt and read it can be caused from being too warm so then started to worry that I had it set to high of a temp. Then some had to duck to get in so worried that it was too low in the front for them........
I know! But even though it is an unfamiliar method, I have found it to be far less stressful than using a heat lamp.

Like your chicks, mine seem to be so happy and thriving. It is a joy to see them running in under fake mommy chicken to get warm, and then back outside to explore and play and eat just as they please.

IMO too low in the front if that's the "higher" side and they're ducking to get in. I would have one side as low as you see it in the front there, and the other side tall enough that they can stand upright and touch their backs to it standing up. I know it's hard to get it '"just right" because bedding gets in the way and if the chicks kick it around, you keep needing to adjust.

I would also observe how they are doing at night. If they are all staying under at night when it's dark that would also indicate that the temperature is not too high.
once we finally get them all settled in at night they are quiet and stay under the rest of the night. a few will complain when the lights first go out and we usher them under and then they still complain for a few then settle and are quiet the rest of the time. haahaa

IMO too low in the front if that's the "higher" side and they're ducking to get in. I would have one side as low as you see it in the front there, and the other side tall enough that they can stand upright and touch their backs to it standing up. I know it's hard to get it '"just right" because bedding gets in the way and if the chicks kick it around, you keep needing to adjust.
Thanks. I did raise the front a good amount yesterday and the back just a smidge since they would all but flatten themselves to get out of the back if they wanted to. I did leave one corner of the back down a bit lower for the smaller ones to lay under if they wanted but the other side I put up some so they can get out easier. They like to run in the front and pop out the back of it. haahaa. Sure in a day or so I will be bumping it up again since they grow like crazy. :)

Back
Top Bottom