Is her back okay

chasmodeus

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2022
San Marcos, TX
I picked up this hen from a localish breeder back on August 29th. Even back then she had a bare back as shown below.

PXL_20220829_234005526.jpg
I figured it was just overbreeding and will start to heal up.

By the middle of September it looked like it was actually worse. I often saw it with blood on it.

PXL_20220917_233927843.jpg
So I isolated her with another male who had one side of his face pretty badly pecked.

This is what it looks like tonight. I'm concerned by both those blister things and all the dry skin.

PXL_20221007_024327405.jpg PXL_20221007_024338030.jpg
PXL_20221007_024344806.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen any mites? Is she getting enough protein? Are any of your other birds showing any symptoms? Is a vet an option?

I've never seen blisters like that, so I'm not sure what to advise other than keep her separated and warm.

Have you seen any mites? Is she getting enough protein? Are any of your other birds showing any symptoms? Is a vet an option?

I've never seen blisters like that, so I'm not sure what to advise other than keep her separated and warm.
No mites that I've seen. No other birds, quail or chicken, has this. She's still isolated with the rooster she was with initially. His face has healed, but I've kept him with her for company. He has shown zero signs of this.

The thing about the blisters is they don't seem to be fluid filled. If I had to describe what they feel like it's more like a kernel on an uncooked ear of corn. Starting to wonder if they might be tumors of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom