Is Her Wing Broken

Jan 10, 2022
I have a bantam hen that has been hopping around, and we thought maybe bumble foot. The doc didn't think it was full blown bumble foot but still gave antibiotics. She has taken those, but walks very slowly and will try to balance herself, we think the rooster may have hurt her when he threw her off the roost(we are getting rid of him because he only likes certain ones a d attacks the little ones).

Anyway, one wing seems down more than the other. Also her crop seems full, could that cause her to stumble as well?

Attachments

• 20220522_135033.jpg
    20220522_135033.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220522_135018.jpg
    20220522_135018.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 5
Can you get a video of her movements? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

Photo of the Bumblefoot?

I would get her hydrated, make sure she's eating her nutritionally balanced feed well. Giving 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily may be helpful as well.

Look her over to make sure there's no swelling of the joints, wounds under the wings, etc.

It's been about 3 and a half weeks. She's starting to walk again and is standing on her own. I've been giving her vitamin e, nutridrench, and poultry cell. She was also given an antibiotic from her vet. She actually laid an egg today after 3 and a half weeks. Definitely an improvement.

Update: She has recovered, it took about 4 weeks though, she went through some hard moments where she couldn't stand any longer, but I kept giving her vit e gel, nutridrench, vitamins in water and poultry cell. She aspirated but pulled through, and I learned never give oral medications to a chicken if they are still fighting you. I am forever grateful that she is now outside with her flock. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom