Is his eye ok?

Jared Vera

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Texas, Usaaaaaaa
This is my new member of my flock, an Ayam Cemani, but recently his right eye had been closed and his left eye wide open and it has been like that for about 3 days. So,
43CC2177-B8A8-4AD5-8657-B407F1788231.jpeg
254B2E33-842A-4464-97AD-D25BC984A894.jpeg
I am wondering if he hurt his eye or an infection or something. What could I do or will it heal naturally?
sorry one of the pictures is blurry.

Any chance you could get a better picture of his right eye?
He may have something in it like a little piece of dirt. But with that picture, I am unable to see if it is puffy or infected.

This is my new member of my flock, an Ayam Cemani, but recently his right eye had been closed and his left eye wide open and it has been like that for about 3 days. So,View attachment 2515246View attachment 2515247 I am wondering if he hurt his eye or an infection or something. What could I do or will it heal naturally?
sorry one of the pictures is blurry.
Can you get someone to hold him while you take some clear photos?

Can you see any bubbles or foam in his eye if you open it? Does he seem to be gasping or having labored breathing? Respiratory diseases, such as mycoplasma (MG) can cause conjunctivitis (pinkeye) and other symptoms of a respiratory disease. I would keep him isolated from the rest of your flock while you observe him. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Can you see any bubbles or foam in his eye if you open it? Does he seem to be gasping or having labored breathing? Respiratory diseases, such as mycoplasma (MG) can cause conjunctivitis (pinkeye) and other symptoms of a respiratory disease. I would keep him isolated from the rest of your flock while you observe him. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/_docs/programs/poultry/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
He sometimes tries to open his eye and I don’t see any bubbling or foam in his eye. And I do sometimes hear some slight gasping every so often but very subtle.

If you can put some Terramycin eye ointment into his eye, or some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment into his eye twice a day that could help if there is irritation or infection. Most respiratory diseases including MG can affect chickens all of their lives, and can make them carriers or infect your other chickens.

I agree, I would separate him out and see if you can treat him.
Hopefully this is not respiratory disease that he's brought with him and it's just debris in the eye causing the issue.

Check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight and it would be good to look inside his beak for signs of canker, lesions or mucous.

I agree, I would separate him out and see if you can treat him.
Hopefully this is not respiratory disease that he's brought with him and it's just debris in the eye causing the issue.

Check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight and it would be good to look inside his beak for signs of canker, lesions or mucous.
Ok I will check him everyday, also, earlier I did see his crop empty and he acts normal during the day. But I hope it is just some debris.

Back
Top Bottom