Is Hova-bator 1602n Okay For First Time Hatching?

YooHwa

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
this is my first time incubating!

I am about to order hova-bator 1602n with fan, digital thermometer and hygrometer, and automatic turner!
I am very newbie about this incubating process...

many people recommended genesis, but I cannot afford that much..
I am buying new hova-bator 1602n with all the accessories listed up there paying about $140 incuding shipping fee
I'm not going to hatch like many birds because I just want to see the hatching process and have button quails.
smile.png

I cannot afford to build big houses so I chose button quails which do not grow so big.

My room temperature is fairly 70 to 80 degrees in most of the days.
I do not know about the night, so I'm going to test with the digital thermometer and hygrometer which shows lowested and highest temperature.

So.. all I want to ask is "is Hova-Bator 1602N okay for first time hatchers?"
I saw alot of forums saying that 1602N is worthless....but many also said that it's because of not stable room temperature.
Please be patient with me.. I am really new to these hatching process......

smile.png
Thank you for reading my questions!

I have a 1602n And it is a WONDERFUL intro bator. It does require some attendance but not much. The good part is the price and it is quality made unlike other styrofoam bators. You can add the turbo fan kit, or just a computer fan later on.

Here is mine

67636_hova2.jpg

67636_three.jpg

I just bought the exact model. Just received it on March 7/ 2011. I am also a first timer for using an incubator. I put 40 eggs in it on March 10th.
So far it's been okay, the odd tweeking, but, I think that is normal when trying to balance humidity and temps.

It is.. I mean for an intro incubator you can't go wrong... Yes... it's not a $400.00 Advance computer controlled auto turner, with a little guy built in to scream if the temp is high or low. But for what you pay, your getting a good quality incubator!

This is the only bator I've used and it works great after you get it set up and keep it in a room with stable temps. $140.00 seems a little high, here's a link to check out. http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-HOVA-...253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59cbdc15 There's no fan but that's a simple fix, just get a computer fan and connect it to a cell phone charger. Computer shops have them by the dozen (used) and everyone has a cell phone charger. Here's a link to help with the fan. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454865&p=1

The
fan is the easy to hook up, if you have problems with it, just ask.

I have the Hovabator 1602N without the fan, but with the turner. I like it better than my Brower Top Hatch, which is supposed to roll the eggs, but for some reason quit working so I have to turn by hand now.
I think you are getting a very good unit to start out with.

I have the 1602N. Not happy with the wafer thermostat, but the jump to digital is quite pricey. I've added a pc fan and it made a world of difference-- stabilized temperatures that now range from 99.2-99.8. Before it was pretty awful-- 99-104 even. But you will have to get a system down for how the temp changes during the day. It's a lot colder in the night and mornings here so I have it kicked up a notch, but since I work early till late 6am-10pm sometimes, I turn it down when I leave. I do this, even if it means they drop down to 98 before temps raise. This, also, means that I return home to 99.5 in stead of 103 or 104. Auto turner is amazing. It also helps with the over-obsession that tends to build up while turning eggs 3-5 x per day for 18 days. It can be emotionally draining to yield a small hatch after all that anticipation. If you want to go cheap the 1602n with turner is a good deal. Order the 3pin 80mm fan from china on ebay which will run around $3 total includes shipping and hook that up to it. (hint* you will have to make your own mount and bolt it to the inside, because the incubator fan kits come with one that fits. It was super easy to make) Also get the cheap hygrometer/thermometer with a probe the same way. I got mine for around 5 bucks that way.

Overall, the 1602n is a fine incubator. I wish I would have gotten the brinsea advanced, but I have other priorities that need taken care of. Good Luck!

i'm coming to the end of my first hatch

i used a hovabator 1602n to which i added a fan on day seven

along the way i had to move it to another location
to stabilize the temperatures, overall i'm pleased with it.

Back
Top Bottom