Is it a bad idea to put nesting boxes under the roost?

mesquiteman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
San Marcos, TX
I have a new coop and flock that has not started roosting off the ground yet, let alone laying. This is our first time keeping chickens. I am planning my nesting boxes and roost but have limited area due to open windows, etc. I was wondering if it is a bad idea to place the nesting boxes under the roost? My thought would be to have the nesting boxes elevated 8-10" off the floor and made from plywood. They would have a solid "shelf" across the top that would act as a poop board with the roost above. There would not be any chance that the nesting boxes could get pooped in.

I may even build the nesting boxes outside the wall of the coop with an exterior egg access door. The roost would then be on the same wall but over the front of the nesting boxes rather than directly over them.

Bad idea or not?

I am assuming it is a bad idea to put a roost in front of an opening to the outside? This opening is a "window" with hardware cloth to keep critters out but I am concerned about drafts.

Your thoughts and expertise would be appreciated!

We all make do with what we have. With the poop deck covering the nests, it should be OK. Draft blowing on chickens are only a problem in cold, freezing winters. Depending on the severity of your area winter, it may be a problem.

We all make do with what we have. With the poop deck covering the nests, it should be OK. Draft blowing on chickens are only a problem in cold, freezing winters. Depending on the severity of your area winter, it may be a problem.

Thank you, ECBW! As for our winters...it gets really cold here...typical lows in the low 30's with a few nights dropping into the 20's!

Thank you, ECBW! As for our winters...it gets really cold here...typical lows in the low 30's with a few nights dropping into the 20's!
HA!
gig.gif
Around here our deep winter starts around mid-November through March. Temps get down to -10 to -20 during the hardest part of it. Nothing thaws out around here til at least the end of March....I HATE WINTERS!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom