Is it a Black Cooper Maran?

Echotraveler

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
[/IMG]

I got 2 Black Cooper Marans chicks from a reputable breeder. Both are in very good health, but have different feather parterns. One is black with cooper color feathers all over, the other is black with sone hints of cooper and the 1 white feather on each wing.

So im thinking the black is black cooper maran and the other aint...what coyld it be?
Opinions are very much welcome

Last edited:
The one looks like a mix they shouldn't have gold all over their body even if it's a different gender

One is solid black, and shouldn't be. One has gold lacing all, over and shouldn't. Have you raised them from chicks, or did you just buy them? If you just bought them recently, you probably got some 'culls.' They aren't correct for breeding purposes, but will be perfectly fine if you just want some pretty dark eggs.

What is Culls. I paid $10 a chick for BCM...so i think i should get exactly that. :)

I got this as 3 day old chicks.

Last edited:
You should get that but you didn't these are clearly not pure bcm
Their are many flaws in both birds to show don't be naive.

This is what a pure bcm young pullet looks like
Do you see the difference in each of your birds

Last edited:
To cull a bird means to remove it from the flock permanently. Since you've had them since they were chicks, they probably aren't pure Marans. The breeder you got them from should refund your money. You did not get what you paid for.

Back
Top Bottom