Is it a dud?

Nikita H

Chirping
Oct 21, 2021
SE Texas
Hello! So I just got a couple Black Australorp from a local hatchery to add to my flock. I’d been researching a little on hatching because I was considering getting everything ready for next spring 😬 I cracked open an egg for breakfast and to my surprise it was definitely fertilized! I didn’t even think about the fact they came from a free range farm sooo of course curiosity kicked in. I put together a quick diy incubator (no judgement here! I couldn’t help myself) a glass tank, heat pad, pebbles mason jars of water and towels. Popped the eggs in there from the next day, rotated a few times each day and couldn’t wait to candle!! When I saw development I was ecstatic. Southeast Texas weather had a major shift with really affected my temps and now I just can’t find anything online that looks similar to what’s going on in my eggs. Give it to me straight .. Did I kill these babies? 😭 First pic is Monday day 4 and second is Wednesday day 6. Third pic is the other egg that I tried to keep from candling but I have no self control. I know it’s early.

Attachments

• 5650B074-F1A2-417C-B536-991B1F8E3DBA.jpeg
    5650B074-F1A2-417C-B536-991B1F8E3DBA.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2CBBDE67-ED83-4537-B281-18F3AC5E1F4A.jpeg
    2CBBDE67-ED83-4537-B281-18F3AC5E1F4A.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 5750CBED-113C-4E35-B7DD-09D338F479FF.jpeg
    5750CBED-113C-4E35-B7DD-09D338F479FF.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 4
Hello! So I just got a couple Black Australorp from a local hatchery to add to my flock. I’d been researching a little on hatching because I was considering getting everything ready for next spring 😬 I cracked open an egg for breakfast and to my surprise it was definitely fertilized! I didn’t even think about the fact they came from a free range farm sooo of course curiosity kicked in. I put together a quick diy incubator (no judgement here! I couldn’t help myself) a glass tank, heat pad, pebbles mason jars of water and towels. Popped the eggs in there from the next day, rotated a few times each day and couldn’t wait to candle!! When I saw development I was ecstatic. Southeast Texas weather had a major shift with really affected my temps and now I just can’t find anything online that looks similar to what’s going on in my eggs. Give it to me straight .. Did I kill these babies? 😭 First pic is Monday day 4 and second is Wednesday day 6. Third pic is the other egg that I tried to keep from candling but I have no self control. I know it’s early.
2nd, & 3rd look dead. The first one is hard to tell.

I’m pretty sure I killed them. I didn’t have much hope for these considering I wasn’t prepared at all and only used things I had on hand. I’ll try my luck again next spring when I’m better prepared and have a temp controlled incubator 🤦🏻‍♀️
Do you have any hens that go broody?

UPDATE!
I candled again tonight and there was no movement, development or veining so I decided to crack them open and investigate.

The first egg seems to have been an early quitter at maybe day 5. The other looks like it might have developed until day 7.

I have a few more eggs in my diy incubator. 3 at day 8 and I can see movement and healthy veining in only 1.
I also have 2 that are on day 4 and I can see what looks like a red spider in both 😬

WISH ME LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom