Is it a respiratory issue or is it me?

Chickmagnet9

Songster
11 Years
Nov 16, 2011
This is Donna Henli. I've had her a few years now and this is the first sign of her ever being ill. The video says it all but it's almost 5 min of me talking while you admire the queen. I have 21 hens and she is my only dinky.
Found her lethargic, eyes closing, wings dropped, didn't even run from me-3 weeks ago. Brought her in, didn't think she'd make it through the night. Her breathing was loud, gurgley. She made it through, next day gave her Duramycin-10, only respiratory abx I had--gave it to her for 2 wks. Didn't seem to help except she got her energy back. Stopped abx, started Colloidal Silver which works for everything when there's an infection. It hadn't seemed to have helped. I'm now adding Vit-Al to her water, she has a great appetite, energy, is laying eggs (we toss them) and is beginning to pace because she is caged. I hate it. After this long, can I assume she is not contagious? Put her back with her big sisters? Treat her with something else? I am at a loss and I also want my front entry back. Any help you can offer based on your own past experiences is appreciated. Please enjoy the video.

Best Regards,
Chickmagnet9 and Donna Henli

Video of Donna Henli 11-02-22

Hi there! First... I did not watch the entire video but I did skim it. She doesn't look deathly ill to me so I see no reason why you'd have to keep her caged up. It really doesn't matter which respiratory disease she has because the others have already been exposed. These type of illnesses don't go away. The symptoms may come back or they may not. Getting a simple swap test done by your state lab might be a good idea so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

What state are you in? I'll bring a direct link to your lab.

Your antibiotics were expired...I think I noticed a date of 2016.

Hi there! First... I did not watch the entire video but I did skim it. She doesn't look deathly ill to me so I see no reason why you'd have to keep her caged up. It really doesn't matter which respiratory disease she has because the others have already been exposed. These type of illnesses don't go away. The symptoms may come back or they may not. Getting a simple swap test done by your state lab might be a good idea so you know exactly what you are dealing with.

What state are you in? I'll bring a direct link to your lab.

Your antibiotics were expired...I think I noticed a date of 2016.
No, she sure doesn't look deathly ill, now. The day I found her she did. I didn't realize I could swab and send in a sample. I was dreading bringing her in to a vet which on some level seems just so odd however, I don't want her to suffer, either. I guess you're right about quarantine and yes, the abx are expired however, that is generally not an issue with medicine regardless of FDA R&R. I live in Sacramento, very close to Davis.

This is Donna Henli. I've had her a few years now and this is the first sign of her ever being ill. The video says it all but it's almost 5 min of me talking while you admire the queen. I have 21 hens and she is my only dinky.
Found her lethargic, eyes closing, wings dropped, didn't even run from me-3 weeks ago. Brought her in, didn't think she'd make it through the night. Her breathing was loud, gurgley. She made it through, next day gave her Duramycin-10, only respiratory abx I had--gave it to her for 2 wks. Didn't seem to help except she got her energy back. Stopped abx, started Colloidal Silver which works for everything when there's an infection. It hadn't seemed to have helped. I'm now adding Vit-Al to her water, she has a great appetite, energy, is laying eggs (we toss them) and is beginning to pace because she is caged. I hate it. After this long, can I assume she is not contagious? Put her back with her big sisters? Treat her with something else? I am at a loss and I also want my front entry back. Any help you can offer based on your own past experiences is appreciated. Please enjoy the video.

Best Regards,
Chickmagnet9 and Donna Henli

Video of Donna Henli 11-02-22
She's adorable.

Your Duramycin 10 expired in 2016, I don't think I would use it.

You can try treating with Tylan50, the dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

I do agree, if you feel that she can get along and be re-integrated back to the flock, then do it and just monitor that she's not getting bullied and that she's eating/drinking well.
If she does have respiratory disease, your flock has already been exposed.
Getting testing will give you more info as to what you may be dealing with and the course of treatment if any that will be most effective.

Back
Top Bottom