Is it a RIR?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calman5565, Apr 16, 2012.

1. calman5565

calman5565 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Hello all,
    I currently have five brown leghorns, two Black Giants and five(?) RIR three week old chicks. One of the chicks I took to be a RIR when bought from Tractor Supply has developed differently from the rest of the RIR's. Is it a different breed or just a different color? I would appreciate some answers.

Thanks!

Three weeks old...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Looks a lot like our RIRs did at 3 weeks, though the white on the wings throws me off. Neither of our two RIR have near that much white, though one has white tipped wings and both have a white stripe down their chests. Should start getting her dark feathers in soon, her head will change from the light brown it is to the darker redish brown that you expect. But yes I wonder too if its a hybrid breed because of that white stripe of feathers, but maybe just an abnormal marking?

Our two RIRs had different color heads one was light brown and the other brown, but both now are growing in their dark feathers.

3. laura877

laura877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    I've had a few RIR chicks. It doesn't look like any of mine. What about Isa Brown? Our TSC has been selling lot sof IB's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by