Is it a rooster or a hen?

dykely

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
We are new to backyard chicken raising and have found this to be an extremely helpful site! Our 5 chickens are now 4 months old. We have one that we aren't sure whether its a hen or rooster. We got 5 different breeds of chickens so we don't have another of the same breed to compare (speckled Sussex) I have read some Internet sites for how to tell the difference and we are still left scratching our heads...(for simplicity I will refer to her in the female verbiage for now, after all, her name is Blanche :) She doesn't crow, doesn't appear to have spurs but does have little nubbins, and doesn't try to mount the other chickens (all of this maybe because she is too young?) She is becoming increasingly aggressive and we have handled her probably the most out of all of them. She has a very large, dark red comb and waddle. In my opinion, she looks like a rooster. I have attached a pic so maybe others with more experience could weigh in with their thoughts. Thanks for your help!

The tail screams roo....
We are new to backyard chicken raising and have found this to be an extremely helpful site! Our 5 chickens are now 4 months old. We have one that we aren't sure whether its a hen or rooster. We got 5 different breeds of chickens so we don't have another of the same breed to compare (speckled Sussex) I have read some Internet sites for how to tell the difference and we are still left scratching our heads...(for simplicity I will refer to her in the female verbiage for now, after all, her name is Blanche :) She doesn't crow, doesn't appear to have spurs but does have little nubbins, and doesn't try to mount the other chickens (all of this maybe because she is too young?) She is becoming increasingly aggressive and we have handled her probably the most out of all of them. She has a very large, dark red comb and waddle. In my opinion, she looks like a rooster. I have attached a pic so maybe others with more experience could weigh in with their thoughts. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom